Vermut - Explorations in Spanish Vermouth

We spent a few days in Girona over Christmas and enjoyed a few local vermouths, some commercial and some ‘homemade’ in restaurants and bars.

So on returning we got a little carried away, a good selection from Bodeboca, a Spanish retailer who deliver throughout the EU:
IMG_8031.jpeg
We then tested them over a few months, generally with some orange peel and ice.

Overall the quality was very high, and stylistically quite consistent, darker fruits than Italian generally, with cola and coconut sugar flavours being consistently present.

Our favourites included the Ataman (older style - lighter flavours) and the Mon Dieu. Restocks of these have just arrived, along with a few white versions.

Any other aficionados?

1 Like

I enjoy the Copa Rojo from Gonzales Byass which is made with a sherry base (75% Oloroso and 25% PX). The nuttiness of the sherry gives it a unique taste. It’s also easy to get in the US.

Lustau makes several very interesting ones as well.

This is the 4th post

Just who is responsible for this? @Oliver_McCrum

Moi.

Did you like it?

1 Like

Like no, love yes. Room temp served over ice with an orange peel serrated edge peeler, no white pith, Oxo recommended. Not so easy to clean I use the DW.

Excellent.

Really good vermouth can be a shock, there’s such a gulf between the usual stuff and the really good stuff.

House vermouth. I normally have it as 1 part vermouth, 2 parts gin (XII, Residence, St-Laurent or even Roku).

During Christmas time, i use Guerra Blanco vermouth. There’s something Christmas-y about its profile.