1995 Chateau Musar

Just decanted my last bottle of 1995 Musar in preparation for tonight’s call. Nose is soft with hints of cherry. Palate is light with good acidity. Some dark plummy fruit coming in on the finish.

My previous bottle of the 1995 was more in the lifted, bretty all over the place wonderfulness that Musar can do. This is a more elegant, refined wine. If I were tasting it blind I’d probably guess Burgundy. Beautiful but not what I was expecting.

Will follow over the course of the next few hours with dinner and then with the Zoom conference and report in here.

With air and some broiled lamb chops a gorgeous earthy, loamy note is emerging.

Over the course of the Zoom conference a spicy note emerged and just now about 2 hours after decanting the nose suddenly exploded. Wow! More of a strawberry note on the palate now. Much greater depth and persistence now. Having it with a bit of Comte during the call.

2 Likes

91 and 95 Musar are some of the best wines I’ve ever had. You’re blessed to get to have one today. Keep the commentary coming.

1 Like

Love the 95! Wish I had more…

My experience has been consistently like your previous bottles. Bottle variation or a function of a little more time? The mysteries of wine…

And thanks for doing it justice with lamb! The only way to Musar IMHO.

I love the '95 Musar…it was my gate-way vintage to my passion for Musar. I just had a friend bring me a glass of the 2000 Blanc…with social distancing it was a new way for us to explore together.

Me too!

All my bottles were from the same source purchased shortly after release and my last one was only about a year or two ago. I suspect bottle variation.

Any updates on the '95??

2 Likes

Day 2 the remaining half bottle I stuck in the fridge has largely faded. Of course I had it in a decanter for several hours before returning it to the bottle and refrigerating it.

This wine is stunning, WOTY kind of wine.

I’d guess Burgundy too Jay, maybe Gevrey.

DCA1D05D-DAB6-41CC-909A-10538CA4B892.jpeg

1 Like

I remember back when we were both bidding on these. :slight_smile:

Glad you had a great showing Sir!

1 Like

Thanks for the note. I have a “fairly” good collection of Musar (I really like!) 1995, 1998, 2002, 2010. My question is…what does Musar do in the wine making process that makes the wines have the ability to age for ever? What technics do they (he before he died) use to make this magic happen? I have never really gotten a good answer insight into this question. Thoughts?

1 Like

Glad to hear your bottle showed as well as mine.

I opened the second of my 2005s yesterday. It had a rather offputting nose (the VA was a bit high even for me) but a gorgeous depth of flavor on the palate.

1 Like

nearby restaurant has 97-03 in half and full bottles. Anything I should try?

I’d suggest trying the 1997-2003.

If you don’t feel like visiting that often the 1999 is one of the best vintages of that time period though IMO ideally it could use a little more time. 2000 and 2002 have both been drinking well for me recently. I loved the 1997 but haven’t had it recently. 1998 was a bit disappointing but again, no recent experience. I don’t recall having the 2001 or 2003.

will do the 99

Anything worse than the night-after Red following a bottle like the 95 Musar Rouge?

Hi John,

I recommend listening in to the interview Levi did with Serge:

Very interesting obviously and will answer some questiona, perhaps raise a few new [cheers.gif]

Good interview!
Special since it was done two months before Serge passed away.

2 Likes

Perfect time to open a white!

1 Like

Gotta pull one of your aged Saxums! [cheers.gif]

1 Like