TN: 2018 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvèdre Outer Limits

• 2018 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvèdre Outer Limits - USA, California, Central Coast, Lime Kiln Valley (3/28/2020)
    This is a whole different world for a D&R wine. It’s amped up in every way, but still displaying purity and nuance. Deep berry fruit, warm earth, nutmeg spice and a touch of garam masala ride a wave of velvet. It’s comfort wine.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Thanks David for the note as I missed the virtual tasting today. How do you feel about the aging potential?

Don’t much care. I will drink my other bottles soon. Balance is good though, so at least short term should be OK.

I gotta try that.

Thanks for the great note!

I’m drinking the 2018 Rodnick Farm right now. Complete soil-to-glass transfer, pure ripe brambly fruit. A juice bomb without over-ripeness, great acid and structure. Is there carbonic on this wine? Reminds me of the meatier versions of Beaujolais, say like a Chateau Thivin. Doesn’t have the funk that I love in some French versions of the grape that I love, but this is a California expression.

I actually ordered more of the Outer Limits during the interactive tasting. It’s just a really f’ing delicious wine.

The virtual tasting was really a fun experience!

Hardy if you read this thank you for doing them

Thinking about it. Then my wife gives me that look, and I put away the credit card.

We opened our bottles at 10 AM and had 1/2 of each with dinner last night, homemade pasta noodles with ground buffalo ragu. We all much preferred Enz by dinner. Thinking OL is the early drinker.

This wine is big in every sense of the word. Big fruit, big acid, big tannins. Like David said it’s very un-D&R, very much a comfort wine.

Big wine, goes to 11 without high alcohol or gloppy overripe quality

I liked it but my wife liked it even more.

Popped this tonight. Wow is it tasty. Nothing to add to the above impressions but I am rationing every sip.

Thanks, Dave! Glad you dug it.

Roughly 20 months after my last bottle of this, which I absolutely loved, I opened my second and last. My guess is this doesn’t get any “better,” and I am not sure this is any different than it was 20 months ago, but still just a smoking bottle of wine, with big berries and a healthy dose of mourvedre earth. Sometimes, especially with big wines, I don’t feel the need to finish a bottle with my wife, even when I like the wine. Not so here, because it’s too delicious to stop drinking.
It’s warm but never hot. I again love this wine–need more 15%ers from Hardy. [cheers.gif]

2 Likes

Thanks, Dave! The Outer Limits is such a wonderful freak of nature.