TN: 1990 Antinori Chianti Classico Pèppoli

• 1990 Antinori Chianti Classico Pèppoli - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (3/29/2020)
    What a super cool and surprisingly delicious Chianti! This was dark in color with plenty of dark cherry and rich earthiness. It was lighter in body than the color told. The earthiness was incorporated with a sweet and grainy colloidal clay impression. It had a big rounded long pleasing finish. This 30 year old has plenty of time left, and might still be on the uptick of its aging curve! (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

sounds great. Thanks.

Seven or eight years ago I picked up a few bottles of mid-80s Peppoli on a lark. They were all quite good, and one (1989?) was just outstanding. It really changed how I thought of chianti—before that I’d reflexively assumed that only the trophy bottles warranted extended aging. The Peppolis were a revelation. That said, I still don’t cellar as much chianti as I should.

The 1990 vintage in the Chianti section of Tuscany was epic! One of my all-time favorite CCRs was the 1990 Badia a Passignano. Also by Antinori. I believe the Peppoli and Passignano vineyards are just a few miles apart.

Great note! I had a 2003 in 2018 and it was still very much alive and enjoyable. Never would have thought twice that age for this modest bottling!

I love this, thanks for posting!

I didn’t have the guts to keep any of my more modest 1990s this long, but I did save my last bottle of '90 Rancia to open this year for its 30th. If the Peppoli is this good, maybe I should save the Rancia for its 40th?

Nahhh……

Nice info Michael. Would love to drink the Bad a Passignano!

Cool, I’d drink it! Don’t risk it. Please let us know how it turns out!..

amazing. 30 year old CC drinking great. Not even a riserva.
The previous CT TN was yours Charlie, back in 2010.
The stated CT drinking window ended in 2010 too. Guess you proved that wrong.
You still have one left? CT remaining bottles is 5 actually.

Interesting Bryan, I hardly think of drinking windows anymore. The wine was great. CT says I have 2 left…