New (?) Champagne Book--TERROIR CHAMPAGNE

Was on Instagram a few days ago and stumbled onto a new book on Champagne. I flag my ‘new’ remark here as “?” as the book was published in 2017, yet I have not seen it until now. Having read Peter Liem’s book twice now, my new discovery is called Terroir Champagne, and I have placed a link below (the link is safe, takes you right to Amazon). The book covers exclusively producers who farm in an organic/bio approach, and there are about 50 Champagne producers or so covered. There are lots of photos and the read is in English. I was going to buy the book new from Europe but decided to grab a used copy from Amazon, $10 fully delivered, versus the $50 or so it would cost from Europe. The used copy I got is in fine shape, and there seems to be another dozen or so copies available still.

I recognize not everyone gets hyped for this kind of farming or the philosophy, but it aligns right with what I buy, and many of the producers I support are in the book. So, a recommendation and shout out if you want something to add to your reading collection these days, and a terrific report on mostly growers (and Roederer is included because of their approach) who are taking care of their land, employees and customers in how they farm and the wines they make.

https://www.amazon.com/Terroir-Champagne-Sustainable-Organic-Biodynamic/dp/2955904805/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=terroir+champagne&qid=1585507549&sr=8-1

Thanks for this, just ordered a copy. Have also recently re-read Peter Liem’s book and enjoyed it tremendously. Most of my recent champagne purchases have been from these types of producers as I find the variety and distinctiveness to be impressive and the prices mostly reasonable.

Will, it doesn’t have the flair and polish of the Liem book. However, what I like is the book is anchored on producer profiles. She admits she cannot do them all, and that she profiled the producers she drinks and that she feels exhibit a sense of place.

Hope you like it. I used it tonight to pick a Champagne with dinner…I went with Ruppert-Leroy, who is in the Aube (what I called the south). They’re fully biodynamic. I pulled the 2015 bottling called Fosse Grely, which is a 50/50 blend of Pinot Noir and Chard. Great stuff.

Thanks for the heads-up Frank…I also ordered a copy.

Frank, the producer profile sections in the Liem book were probably my favorite parts, so I look forward to reading more about them. I agree that Ruppert-Leroy is a killer producer (though I’ve only tried the 11,12,13… on multiple occasions) and it has been one of the most singular wines in evoking a sense of presence and place. Will seek out some Fosse Grely, though I’ve yet to have a bad wine from '15, particularly in the Aube!

Caroline Henry does good work. She is passionate about clean farming and is a great advocate for Chamapgne and the producers who follow the organic/biodynamic way. Additionaly, she also is a pretty great person in general. Her book has been out for a couple years now and she did a tour of the US in 2019 promoting its release here. If you like Champange, or are interested in natural farming/winemaking, this is a great book.

Brad, thanks for the thumbs up vote.

While we’re on books, I also ordered another one, again found through Instagram. It’s pretty cool how well the tool can open some doors, as it has for these books. Anyway, the book below is on the way, it shipped this weekend. Not sure if anyone has read it yet but I am going to give it a go:

https://www.amazon.com/Wine-Girl-Obstacles-Humiliations-Sommelier-ebook/dp/B07TF91YMC/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=sommelier+james&qid=1585582055&sr=8-1

I really enjoyed Bursting Bubbles by Robert Walters. It was recommended by WA’s William Kelly. Not as in depth as Peter Liem’s book but it covers a fair bit. Of course I was partially onboard with his positions already.

Bursting Bubbles is also excellent, David. Read that twice, too.

In process on this one. Enjoying it very much so far.

The release of this book has been getting a lot of recent press, Frank, and it sounds like the author has a strong voice and is telling ever-more personal experiences of sexual assaults and harassment in fine-dining restaurants (though she doesn’t name names.) I enjoyed reading this interview with her:

Nowell, still waiting on my copy of the book to arrive but I will say that she is strong on Instragram. She is certainly putting in the effort.

Thanks for posting the article, too. I wonder if she would come on over here and interact with us? I am going to toss the idea to her. Ain’t got nothing to lose.

Sorry missed this thread.

Frank, its a nice read. Good list of producers. Flatiron in NY had an champagne tasting event (producers mentioned) and the book launch. Discoveries include: Val Frison, Pascal Doquet, Vincent Couche.

This book…I cannot put it down. I’m nearly 1/2 way through it in just 2 days. It’s courageous of her to write what she has, to share what she experienced in the industry. Nowell, it deserves the press it is getting.

Thanks for sharing your enthusiastic response, Frank. Given your support of women fleeing domestic violence, I would expect you’re allied – as am I – with the author’s concerns about workplace sexual assault and harassment. I plan to read to book, too.

Yes, you are accurate in that, Nowell. Moreso, because she is a person, someone who got handed a shitty situation, and it wasn’t just at work, but at home. Many people, regardless of their wine affiliation, know exactly what she went through and can relate to it I am sure. I just didn’t see that coming until I started turning the pages.

Gonna do another chapter before I knock off for bed.

Stay safe up there in LA. Beat The 19.