TWA William Kelley on several 2018 Beaujolais (Bouland, Metras, Foillard)

Honestly, this is about the best thing I’ve seen a wine critic do in recent times. Perhaps partly it is due to William providing such depth of attention and context to a region that other critics do not, and most do not seem to understand, at least not very well. Partly it is due to William’s lexicon and ability to describe impressions and thoughts in such a very visually appealing way. And of course, with that smug, refined British accent and his Oxfordian mannerisms, you just know that this cat is smarter and more cultured than you. And yes, I don’t mind his little jab on the Bouland, “no overt sucrosity of fruit . . . .” [wow.gif] “I have a few for my cellar . . . cases . . . .” LOL, love it.

Seriously, this is worth every second of the 8-minute watch. Would love to see more content delivered in this fashion. It would be worth the price tag, even for those of us that actually do not subscribe to anything. So cool if more critics and winemakers would do this now during our shelter-in-place time for CV19 (yes, Fu, I am doing some sheltering).

These are three of my annual Beaujolais buys, in addition to Roilette, Thivin, Lapierre and occasionally, Vissoux. Very cool to see these gems get in-depth coverage. World class wine at very nice pricing.

Yeah it was a nice piece. Thanks for sending the link!

Awesome! Thx for posting.

Fun video, but is it OK to drink Beaujolais if you did not attend Oxford or Cambridge?

Actually, I believe that graduates must receive special dispensation from their institution to drink the stuff. You know the rules, claret and port.

Great video

But, but…do you really enjoy Metras with age? I find they are best out of the gate.

100%, Marcus. I was just staring at some 2015 Metras a few minutes ago, jonesing for a quality Beaujolais. I have no basis to say this other than gut instinct, but I think they are made to be enjoyed promptly and storage carries some long-term risk. And they are amazingly expressive and aromatic on release, so for me, why wait.

i had a 12 metras fleurie not long ago that was sublime. better than several bottles of 11 ultime. i am sure they age quite well, but not without a certain risk.

I recently drank through a few 1997 Metras Fleurie. Every bottle was fantastic. Exotic and delicious. Still very well put together.

Ok I’m eating some words on Metras, inspired by William to pop one today:

2014 Metras l’Ultime.

Granted, this is supposedly the flagship cuvee, and it ain’t cheap!

Only if you can pronounce “Beaujolais” correctly. neener [cheers.gif]

Robert - I believe that is Oxonian mannerisms… (but, hey, the Brits are proving as stupid as we are/vice versa).

You are calling William a cow, a steer? I mean, I know I’m a yak, but William is above that fray. Maybe a Texas Longhorn? That’s a lot of bull. Damn this Ultime is wonderful, just finishing glass three.

Very cool coming on the heels of the thoughts he shared in the recent thread here. Thanks for sharing.

Great video. His IG page has me wanting Armagnac, too!

Thanks very much for all the kind words, everyone! That’s very encouraging.

I’m stuck in Beaune but I have a lot of wine to taste through for various articles this Spring, as well as a nicely stocked cellar, so I will make a few more videos. Did one on old Beaujolais (as a counterpoint to the 2018s) last night which I’ll post soon.

I’m not a Beaujolais drinker but enjoyed the video anyway - thanks and well done, William!

Great video. I watched yesterday. Glad to hear good things about 2018 and it sounds as though it confirms my understanding of it being more of a drink early vintage.

You all inspired me to pop a ‘18 tonight:
074FDA2A-9862-479D-8289-A264DB881BBA.jpeg
Not too ripe and nice tannins on the end. Built to age and on the Pinot side of the curve.