TN: 1999 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett (Germany, Nahe)

• 1999 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Nahe (3/31/2020)
    Getting on towards 21 years of age, and this still had decades left. Singed peach, pineapple core, iron, salt and petrichor ride a light veil of sweetness, and acidity that has emerged from the richness of the 1999 vintage. Age brings a return to the core elements, and this is slimming down to essence of Riesling. It not electric, but it is fascinating. Wish I had more, but it was good to catch this now.

Posted from CellarTracker

David,

This sounds lovely…I wonder if Kabinett level Rieslings will become more scarce as global warming continues to warm the planet?

Producers seem to be making specific effort to bottle Kabinett. Of course much of it has been solid Spatlese level for years, but at least displaying some of the lightness (and low alcohol) typical of the Kabinett style. Less favored sites have become good hunting grounds for Kabinett style wines.

Nice wine David. I love Oberhausen Leistenberg. I’ve never had the 1999.

Although not an answer to Kirk’s question, a small anecdote, I drank 2018 Schaefer Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese the other night that I could have sworn was a Kabinett.

The Schaefer Wehlener wines are always lighter than their Graacher wines.