TN: 2013 Domaine Jean Tardy - Vosne-Romanée "Vigneux" (France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée)

2013 Domaine Jean Tardy et Fils Vosne-Romanée Vigneux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée (3/18/2020)
– cork pulled 1.5 hrs before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a few hours –

NOSE: expressive; clean; raspberry aromas set against a cool-climate type of savory backdrop.

BODY: garnet-violet color of medium-shallow to medium depth; clear; light to medium-light bodied.

TASTE: medium-light concentration of clean red-fruited flavor; medium+ to high acidity; savory; not funky, tannic, or hot (13% alc.); accessible; not much structure; Drink Now – 2025. gut impression score: high 80s.

Just had the ‘05 and it was fantastic.

2013 Domaine Jean Tardy et Fils Vosne-Romanée Vigneux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée (3/26/2021)
– decanted 15 min. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 2 to 3 hours –

NOSE: tight; red-fruited; high-toned; seems to be moderately ripe; hint of bubble gum.

BODY: medium-light bodied.

TASTE: high acidity; savory and red-fruited; a touch leafy/green; medium-light garrigue; touch of coffee emerged when paired with pork tenderloin and mushrooms. Straightforward and easy — call it “fine” — not bad, but there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of complexity or intellectual intrigue here; not sure one can reasonably expect anything more out of a $30 Pinot from Burgundy. Drink or Hold, even though I don’t believe this will magically become excellent with additional cellar time. Gut impression score: 86 - 87,

2013 Domaine Jean Tardy et Fils Vosne-Romanée Vigneux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée (9/30/2021)
– decanted 45 min. before first taste –
– tasted non-blind over 2 to 3 hours –

NOSE: savory; red-fruited (cool cherry; red currant); hints of oak, cumin, and flowers; not funky.

BODY: clear; garnet color of medium depth; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: medium to medium+ acidity; medium-light to medium concentration of cool red fruits; wide open; hint of oak on the finish; screams “Burg.”; fruit filled-in somewhat a couple hours after opening; best showing yet; not a blockbuster, but simply very “right,” humble, and unassuming — an “honest wine,” if you will. Drink Now and over the next few years.

50, 5, 13, 15, 7 = (90 pts.)

2013 Domaine Jean Tardy et Fils Vosne-Romanée Vigneux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée (2/9/2024)
– decanted 1 hr. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 3 hrs. on Day 1; Ash revisited it on Day 2 –

NOSE: maturing, red-fruited aromatics; light earthy/woodsy spice; smells like it’s going to be thin and austere on the palate; medium+ expressiveness.

BODY: medium-light bodied; no sediment present.

TASTE: juicy; red fruits (medium-light concentration) with some spice; straightforward and not complex; “just fine”; a glugger; 13% alc. not noticeable; Drink Now. gut impression score: mid 80’s. When Ashley revisited on Day 2, with first whiff, she asked, “Did we talk yesterday about this being corked?” I immediately knew what she was talking about, as I did have that debate internally on Day 1 — I eventually decided against TCA, but there is something there that makes one wonder: if it’s TCA, it’s incredibly light; but, again, I ultimately decided against it in favor of the idea that it’s just drying out, and it has a meaningful austerity to it.