TN: 2015 Domaine Robert Arnoux / Arnoux-Lachaux Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Reignots

• 2015 Domaine Robert Arnoux / Arnoux-Lachaux Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Reignots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (4/1/2020)
    Very young. Dark fruit. Very Richebourg like. Dark fruit. Nice firm mid palate. Very mineral. Long finish. Beautiful future ahead. I look forward to the evolution with my remaining bottles. This is such a wonderful young wine. Precise like Bruno Clavelier Combe d’Orveaux. Profound.

Posted from CellarTracker

Sounds great, Don…appreciate the note on the Reignots. And I sure do enjoy the Clavelier Combe d’Orveaux.

Sounds wonderful Don. Clavelier has emerged as I domaine I really appreciate. Hope you are doing well.

Great vineyard and great maker Don. Young Charles Lachaux is a gun!

I am doing well. Trying to drink a few good wines that I have larger quantities. I like to share wines like this one more than just sip it at home. Stay safe. I hope to see you sometime soon.

Increased the price for the 2018 Reignots almost 400% …
pass! [pwn.gif]

Indeed, that’s what I heard as well re domaine pricing for individual clients. Maybe importers still have benefit of lower prices?

Covid 19 may impact price policies… refusing to pay more than 500€ a bottle for really exceptional wines (and in most cases (ie non really absolutely exceptional/cult wines) not more than 200€) has now excluded me from a lot of Burgundies… the Lady is happy…

yes, $1000 a bottle. Bet it’s flying off the shelves. I backfilled 2013 at less than 1/5 that price.

Thanks for the note! I had A-L’s 2015 Pinot Fin entry level bottling last year and was struck by how good it was. Just bought two of the 2017 Vosne Hautes-Mazières this week, so looking forward to seeing how they show. Would have loved to try their Suchots, but $425 CAD was a little rich for my blood.

$1,000 for Arnoux ‘Reignots’?!? That’s lunacy.

Yes, even priced higher than the RSV!?!

yes. As of 2018 vintage.

I think I had the 2001 at Ledbury just a few years ago at 1/5 of that price :slight_smile:.

My eyes bulged, too, when I saw the price increase (export price list, not private client), with the Reignots priced above the RSV.
However, having tasted the range of ‘18s, and reflecting on the issue, it seems perfectly reasonable, in an unreasonable high-end Burgundy kind of a way.
Of all of the 1k dollar or euro bottles that are sold from the Vosne Romanée hillside, Charles’ scant barrel or two of Reignots is qualitatively incredible, and worth every penny (even at the new price) in comparison to many a Grand cru that people don’t scoff at with such a price tag.
Comparing the prior vintages’ pricing of course has Charles’ decision to raise the price stand out and cause consternation like this thread.
But I believe that the ‘18s, in addition to being of a haunting intensity and beauty, are in a unique category of aesthetic dimension that is “apart”, and stands in general as a resounding turning point in the evolution of the estate. It is the first vintage with Charles’ full on vision and work ethic applied to the entire estate, particularly the viticultural side, with massive labor cost increases, as well as minuscule yields.
I requested some, having presold none, with every confidence that in a few years time, people will “get it”. If not, I am happy to have some bottles, as the wine is positively spellbindingly awesome.
I don’t consider myself a “trophy guy”, or a high roller. In fact, I am skeptical of prestige driven high end wines in general.
But to be perfectly honest, this sh!t is beyond legit.
Punto.
Be well, y’all.
Santé
ps-I have a vertical of the Reignots going back to '08, the first vintage that I imported the wines.

Rob. Steen Ohman(Winehog) agrees with you. He feels the 2018s are a step forward for the domaine in quality. He gushed. I really like what is going on there.

Makes sense, it’s been a chore to find this wine since I bought it last in 13’

There’s so little of it, it will continue to sell out, and still quite a bit cheaper than Liger-Belair. In fact, I’d think many of us would want the 18’ Reignots more than 18’ DRC Eche, at least I would.

If DRC made Reignots would you pay $1k for it?

Surely lots of people would! The pricing on L-B Reignots is positively stratospheric.

More broadly, it’s obviously complicated to justify spending $1,000 on any bottle of wine. It’s quasi-justifiable for DRC because of the long track record of ageability, marquee name, and vibrant secondary market. (And for some, the prestige of being able to serve DRC.) Liger-Belair has pretty remarkably ascended to that level in a very short amount of time, so I guess that’s the model for Arnoux. But I still can’t envision many people–even people who buy four-figure bottles of wine–shelling out for an Arnoux premier cru. On the flip side, the production is small enough that it probably doesn’t take many people.

Since when is Reignots such a hot plot? I don’t recall ever hearing anything about exciting wines from there in the 90s, but now it’s doing quite a Cros Parantoux impression. Has something fundamental changed in the last 10-20 years other than Liger Belair making a version that has attracted a bunch of fame and attention for the vineyard?