Meroi Vigna Dominin Merlot - any opinions?

So, there was a dump of the 2012 Meroi Vigna Dominin Merlot (Colli Orientali del Friuli) on the just-ended Spectrum auction. This looks like it sells for close to $100/bottle normally, but the 6-bottle lots ended up going for $13/bottle or so. Looks like all of the offered lots were bidded on, so there is apparently some interest in this stuff. I picked up one of the lots out of curiosity. Wine Exchange is offering the 2003 for $99/bottle.

Does anyone know what to expect with this? There isn’t really much info available on this producer. Why on earth would a Friulian Merlot be so pricy?

I grabbed a 6-pk tonight as well. I’ve only had a Meroi Chard, but that impressed me enough to take a flyer on the Dominin Merlot at a pretty risk free price. I see that IWR gave the wine a glowing 95pt review in 2016 and put the drinking window out to 2034. I don’t see much else on it.

So I opened one of the bottles and am very happy with the purchase! There’s definitely an “appassimento” dried grape feel to it, with deep fruit and there’s some “earth and leather” notes that let you know you’re in Italy. Ripe and rich style, but has enough acidity to keep things in balance.

Paul - thanks for the update. Haven’t picked mine up yet, but glad to hear they are worth the $13! [wink.gif]

Cheers, [cheers.gif]

Steve

Yes, Steve, this was an absolute steal at $13. High quality wine for sure, and a deal at 2 or 3x the price. Please post your opinion when you try it!

Thanks - should have mine in hand in the next 2-3 weeks. Cheers!