TN: 2017 Saxum White James Berry Vineyard (USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles)

• 2017 Saxum White James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (4/3/2020)
    Wowza, WOTY candidate. Amazing depth and concentration with a strong acid streak lifting everything up. Honeysuckle and stone fruits up front with a spice and citrus finish. Amazing wine wish I bought more.

Posted from CellarTracker

Good to see this is going to be a great one. I only bought 1, so I’ll lay it down for a few years and see how it is then.

Bob,

Sounds like an awesome bottle of wine for sure. I did the combo of Grenache Blanc and Roussanne - classic Southern Rhone for sure - and the extended barrel age I’m sure helped lift the aromatics and give the wine extra texture.

I’d love to get my hands on one of these and compare it to other domestic white Rhone blends - just wish it was a bit more ‘affordable’ but it is what it is.

Cheers.

Got two bottles and had to try one out of the gate being the first Saxum white. Did not know what to expect but it is very good. The yellow color is off the chart. Hard for me to think of another white wine that has this intensity other than some sweet whites.

As for flavors, did not take notes but it was a full body white with some honey-ish notes, not sweet, with a citrus zest on the finish that was delicious. Have not had anything like it (to be fair I don’t dive deep into whites). The one score i’ve seen was 93 and it is all of that and more.

Nice job Justin.

WTG fellas, take a great one for the team

I bought two on release and opened one last month at a wine dinner we hosted. I only had a small taste since we shared it amongst the eight of us, but I emailed Saxum and was able to get two more bottles. I love it and may only buy their whites from now on.

4yrs ago…I guess my dream came true!