Wines Popular in Europe But Not in U.S.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
David_K
GCC Member
GCC Member

Wines Popular in Europe But Not in U.S.

#1 Post by David_K » April 3rd, 2020, 6:32 am

I have to feel like this is a lot less true than it used to be given the proliferation of social media and the like, but what wines remain popular in their home countries in Europe but have not really caught on here (not counting supermarket-quality wines). For example, I get sales pitches that say Couly-Dutheil Chinons are really sought after in all the top restaurants in France. Maybe that's a bit salesly, but I feel like they probably are much more popular there than here. In Germany, I would say GGs and dry Rieslings though again that is much less true than it once was as they become more popular here. But I've heard of similar deltas where some say Markus Molitor is viewed as a top grower in Germany, but doesn't have much traction in the States. Any other examples?
K@ntrОwi╦z

Stefan R.

Re: Wines Popular in Europe But Not in U.S.

#2 Post by Stefan R. » April 3rd, 2020, 7:01 am

Markus Molitor makes fabulous wines for fair prices. He even releases some older vintages, so you will be able to find these quite easily as well.

Another wine region, I can imagine, is Styria in the south part of Austria. Some top notch Sauvignon Blanc is produced there. Look out for winemakers like Tement, Gross, and Wohlmuth, they should be available in the States as well. Recent vintages 2015 and 2017 have been excellent, but the top wines need time to develop. Tement's Zieregg is probably among the world's best Sauvignon Blancs.
Stefan Roell

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Jay Miller » April 3rd, 2020, 7:34 am

There were a lot more 20 years ago. One that still comes to mind is Franken wines. There are some fantastic wines there but many (including me) don't buy them because of the bottle shape.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Corey N.

#4 Post by Corey N. » April 3rd, 2020, 7:39 am

I cannot speak definitively to this, but my sense is that Robert Weil Rieslings are more popular in Europe than in the US, where distribution seems poor. Very good winemaker if you like the style.
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Jay Miller » April 3rd, 2020, 7:40 am

Corey N. wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 7:39 am
I cannot speak definitively to this, but my sense is that Robert Weil Rieslings are more popular in Europe than in the US, where distribution seems poor. Very good winemaker if you like the style.
Very good but IMO generally overpriced. Though I suppose other producers have caught up and in many cases surpassed their aggressive pricing
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by John Morris » April 3rd, 2020, 8:09 am

Jay Miller wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 7:40 am
Corey N. wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 7:39 am
Very good but IMO generally overpriced. Though I suppose other producers have caught up and in many cases surpassed their aggressive pricing
Yes, the prices are high, as are many other Rheingau wines.
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

m. ristev

#7 Post by m. ristev » April 3rd, 2020, 8:21 am

georg breuer
mајкл

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Brandon R » April 3rd, 2020, 8:51 am

How common is Sherry consumption in Europe? My perception is that it's far more common than here.
B. Redman

William Kelley

#9 Post by William Kelley » April 3rd, 2020, 8:58 am

Brandon R wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 8:51 am
How common is Sherry consumption in Europe? My perception is that it's far more common than here.
Sure, in Spain... but you won't find anyone in France drinking it, and I remember serving an ancient (and superb) Palo Cortado to Burgundian winemakers and watching them recoil in horror.

I think social media and modern communications have done a lot to homogenize the wine world. Nowadays there's a niche market that wants to drink Verset, old Joguet Chinon, Vatan, Rayas, Dutraive, Ganevat, Coche, etc etc in almost every country. And you will find people pursuing the same bottles in Paris, SF, NYC, London, HK, Tokyo, Beijing etc with comparatively little variation, just inflections in one direction or another.
Last edited by William Kelley on April 3rd, 2020, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Wine Advocate

A. So
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by A. So » April 3rd, 2020, 8:59 am

All that natty shit that "can't survive a trans-Atlantic journey."
エaイdドrリiアaンn (93 pts.)

Corey N.

#11 Post by Corey N. » April 3rd, 2020, 9:06 am

A. So wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 8:59 am
All that natty shit that "can't survive a trans-Atlantic journey."
I was always under the impression that natty shit was a uniquely American pleasure.

* 77-packs sold out.
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

Chris V.

#12 Post by Chris V. » April 3rd, 2020, 9:11 am

One of the biggest observations when in more rural parts of Europe is how most people drink what is local (ie. produced within their region). Or if the local wine isn't suitable for a dish they'll often drink a wine that is from their own country.

Whereas in the US, while most consumption made up of US wines, somewhere around 90% of domestic wine consumed is from California despite most consumers being outside the state. Even for drinkers within California there is less focus on what is from your region. You might be from Central Coast and love Napa Cab.
V a n d e r m a r e l

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Russell Faulkner » April 3rd, 2020, 9:15 am

William Kelley wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 8:58 am
Brandon R wrote:
Sure, in Spain... but you won't find anyone in France drinking it, and I remember serving an ancient (and superb) Palo Cortado to Burgundian winemakers and watching them recoil in horror.

I think social media and modern communications have done a lot to homogenize the wine world. Nowadays there's a niche market that wants to drink Verset, old Joguet Chinon, Vatan, Rayas, Dutraive, Ganevat, Coche, etc etc in almost every country. And you will find people pursuing the same bottles in Paris, SF, NYC, London, HK, Tokyo, Beijing etc with comparatively little variation, just inflections in one direction or another.
I can think of two French and one Chinese restaurant here in Bordeaux that serve it by the glass. But it’s far from common!

Markus S

#14 Post by Markus S » April 3rd, 2020, 1:44 pm

William Kelley wrote:
Brandon R wrote:
Sure, in Spain... but you won't find anyone in France drinking it,
But this sort of Euroregionalism exists throughout the continent. Most Greeks, Bulgarians, Croats, Frenchmen, Spainiards, Portuguese, etc tend to drink what is produced in their own backyard.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Kelly Walker

#15 Post by Kelly Walker » April 3rd, 2020, 4:11 pm

Markus S wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 1:44 pm
William Kelley wrote:
Brandon R wrote:
But this sort of Euroregionalism exists throughout the continent. Most Greeks, Bulgarians, Croats, Frenchmen, Spainiards, Portuguese, etc tend to drink what is produced in their own backyard.
Many non-city locations in Europe have limited non-regional restaurants (though that is changing more and more) so it makes sense that they tend to drink regional wines.
I want to be known by my indulgences.

Joseph MR
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Joseph MR » April 3rd, 2020, 4:32 pm

Stefan R. wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 7:01 am
Markus Molitor makes fabulous wines for fair prices. He even releases some older vintages, so you will be able to find these quite easily as well.

Another wine region, I can imagine, is Styria in the south part of Austria. Some top notch Sauvignon Blanc is produced there. Look out for winemakers like Tement, Gross, and Wohlmuth, they should be available in the States as well. Recent vintages 2015 and 2017 have been excellent, but the top wines need time to develop. Tement's Zieregg is probably among the world's best Sauvignon Blancs.
I have had a Tement. Super intense but still balanced. It was sold out when I went back for more.
ra + * ter

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Michael Martin » April 3rd, 2020, 5:08 pm

Chris V. wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 9:11 am
One of the biggest observations when in more rural parts of Europe is how most people drink what is local (ie. produced within their region).
I remember going into a small grocery in rural France and they had a fill-your-own jug of some sort of red in a tall cask. Probably was still good.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » April 3rd, 2020, 6:00 pm

William Kelley wrote:
Brandon R wrote:
Sherry appears to be far more popular in England than it is in the USA.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Dav1d S@wyer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Dav1d S@wyer » April 3rd, 2020, 8:14 pm

Great thread idea. Although it's starting to become much more popular here, I'd say Le Pergole Torte qualifies.
IG: davidswine

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » April 3rd, 2020, 8:53 pm

On a recent visit to Rheinhessen, outside of the usual Rieslings and Pinot Noir, the growers and Weinkennern seemed most excited about Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and Silvaner. And indeed they are good (along with the dry Riesling and Pinots.)
Cheers,
Paul

William Kelley

#21 Post by William Kelley » April 4th, 2020, 3:17 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 6:00 pm
William Kelley wrote:
Brandon R wrote:
https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2015/ ... rry-sales/

True, even if it's declining, but the UK market is dominated by supermarket stuff, for cooking with or having a glass every year on Christmas Eve. The sort of Sherry we would be interested in is a tiny fraction of the market.
The Wine Advocate

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Joshua Kates » April 4th, 2020, 4:16 am

Yes, nice thread! I also agree that many people drink local in my experience; it's the expectation. That said, Droin's Chablis seemed more popular and pricier the last that I was in Paris and of course a number of Burgundy producers offered there that are not available in the states. Clos St, Magdelaine Blanc, a very nice and very popular wine from Cassis never makes it over here to my knowledge.
Mark Twain, when asked whether he believed in child baptism, replied: "Believe in it? I've seen it!"

Marek Hnatyk

#23 Post by Marek Hnatyk » April 4th, 2020, 4:38 am

I think that wines from Cental Europe and even from Greece are generally hardly know in US. Central Europe I mean: Hungary, Moravian, Austra, Croatia and even Polish wines (especially white).
In the way around the same situation. In Polish market average consumer associate US wine with California, California with Carlo Rossi (most popular wine in Poland)
M a r e k

Wine blog ( mainly in Polish)
www.realdealswines.blogspot.com

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Howard Cooper » April 4th, 2020, 4:58 am

Markus S wrote:
William Kelley wrote:
Brandon R wrote:
Just like most people in California.

When we discuss what is popular in the US, are we discussing people in California? People in NY or DC? People in smaller cities across the US. I would bet that drinking habits tend to be very different say east coast vs. west coast, for example.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

William Kelley

#25 Post by William Kelley » April 4th, 2020, 5:11 am

Joshua Kates wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 4:16 am
Clos St, Magdelaine Blanc, a very nice and very popular wine from Cassis never makes it over here to my knowledge.
It's a Kermit Lynch import in fact, since the 1980s!
The Wine Advocate

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Kirk.Grant » April 4th, 2020, 5:45 am

William Kelley wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 5:11 am
Joshua Kates wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 4:16 am
Clos St, Magdelaine Blanc, a very nice and very popular wine from Cassis never makes it over here to my knowledge.
It's a Kermit Lynch import in fact, since the 1980s!
They make a lovely Rosé that I snap up whenever I see...
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Josh Grossman » April 4th, 2020, 6:08 am

I don't see much Vin Santo stateside but just about every winery in Tuscany makes one. Barolo Chinato and other aromatised wine iare rare here. Vermouth is for more than making cocktails over there. While not a wine, Spain and South America seems to love Tinto de verano and kalimotxo (wine mixed with soda pop and cola, respectively). Have a friend who married a MD from Cyprus and he has thousands of tasting notes that claim many are worth seeking out; couldn't if I wanted to. Anyone ever have some Commandaria?

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Josh Grossman » April 4th, 2020, 6:24 am

The thing I miss most is cheap carafes of local table wine with lunch.

Markus S

#29 Post by Markus S » April 4th, 2020, 7:58 am

Josh Grossman wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 6:08 am
Anyone ever have some Commandaria?
Never had it but heard of it!
$ _ € ® e . k @

Markus S

#30 Post by Markus S » April 4th, 2020, 8:05 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 4:58 am
Markus S wrote:
William Kelley wrote:

Just like most people in California.

When we discuss what is popular in the US, are we discussing people in California? People in NY or DC? People in smaller cities across the US. I would bet that drinking habits tend to be very different say east coast vs. west coast, for example.
Well, who are the winedrinkers in this country? Sure, you have the Coastal Elites and the Chicago dweebs, but the mass of Americans will drink mass brands. There are local wineries and local people buy from them, but not usually in mass quantities. California along with Oregon may be special cases as the sheer quantity of wineries makes it more likely you have one in your backyard and are sold in grocery stores there, but that is not the case in most of the US. Heck, many states can't even sell wine. There is some critical mass of viticulture before something can become localized, and in most of the United States we do not have "local wine" yet.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Mattstolz » April 4th, 2020, 8:06 am

Josh Grossman wrote:
I don't see much Vin Santo stateside but just about every winery in Tuscany makes one. Barolo Chinato and other aromatised wine iare rare here. Vermouth is for more than making cocktails over there. While not a wine, Spain and South America seems to love Tinto de verano and kalimotxo (wine mixed with soda pop and cola, respectively). Have a friend who married a MD from Cyprus and he has thousands of tasting notes that claim many are worth seeking out; couldn't if I wanted to. Anyone ever have some Commandaria?
I agree with this and also love all of the wines you listed. especially vin Santo and vermouth.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Josh Grossman » April 4th, 2020, 8:07 am

I'm working with an importer that is bringing in Falanghina wine and it is delicious. It tastes like a mixture of Muscadet and Chenin blanc.

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Kirk.Grant » April 4th, 2020, 8:57 am

Josh Grossman wrote:
Chinato...I wish I had bought a case...it was only 13 Euros for a bottle people want $55 for here.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Otto Forsberg

#34 Post by Otto Forsberg » April 4th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Josh Grossman wrote:
Anyone ever have some Commandaria?
Sure. Great stuff. Even the local co-op stuff that is produced in large quantities is terrific stuff, as long as the price is reasonable. Sweet, raisiny, oxidative and still surprisingly fresh. Even after popping a bottle open the wine keeps good for weeks.

Some smaller producers might get a bit over-the-top with oak use, but the wines can age like crazy. The best are like super-concentrated versions of Tawny Ports or Rivesaltes wines.

Gordon Fitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Gordon Fitz » April 4th, 2020, 1:49 pm

When I lived in Germany both Silvaner and Traminer , along with blends thereof, were both popular. Last year, I found the same.

After the big boys decimated Chenin Blanc wines here in the 60-80s and then tore most of it out, the wines don’t do particularly well here. A few US producers make a decent one today. In Europe, they are well made and well loved.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » April 4th, 2020, 2:19 pm

William Kelley wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 3:17 am
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 6:00 pm
William Kelley wrote:

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2015/ ... rry-sales/

True, even if it's declining, but the UK market is dominated by supermarket stuff, for cooking with or having a glass every year on Christmas Eve. The sort of Sherry we would be interested in is a tiny fraction of the market.
Interesting article. Thanks for posting it, William. I thought some of the Waitrose offerings were drinkable (Amontillado; Palo Cortado; and maybe the Fino --- can't recall about the Fino for sure).
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by mark rudner » April 5th, 2020, 10:23 am

this is a great thread
thanks to the op!

Greg Kramer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Greg Kramer » April 5th, 2020, 10:49 am

I discovered Burgundy producer Domaine Jean Guiton on the UK-centric forum Wine Pages. Subsequently, I found copious positive reviews and comments from UK’ers. The wines are just beginning to be discovered in the US.

Christophe Pichon from the Northern Rhône sells out every year across their considerable range of reds and whites. Almost all is to European wholesalers and European private customers who visit them.

Traditional Barolo maker Anselma Giocomo might be legendary in Norway but hadn’t been seen in the States for many years.

N.B. I sell wine from each of them. I could probably list numerous others as our stock-in-trade is small producers from Italy, France, and soon Spain, who are poorly represented here.
ITB
VDLTWine

Robert Love
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Robert Love » April 5th, 2020, 11:04 am

Fun question.

Vaulorent is a premier cru in Chablis that is particularly prized in France but rarely even seen in the US, at least vinified separately from Fourchaume. Vaulorent lies on the Grand Cru hill and in France is generally believed to be roughly a Grand Cru at Premier Cru prices.

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Mel Knox » April 5th, 2020, 11:41 am

Olivier Merlin's wines seem to be popular in Paris. He is a good buddy who makes wine in the Maconnais. His wines are imported here but I' ve never seen them in a store or restaurant.

In the 70s most of Ausone was sold through a mailing list...you rarely saw it here.

I was thinking of this question in the way musicians used to be talked about...you know the folk singer big in Germany, the blues and jazz musicians who make all their money in Europe.There was an American musician named Sixto Rodriguez who was big in South Africa.

In that vein I thought of Au Bon Climat, who sell an incredible amount of wine in Germany and the UK. Saintsbury does well in the UK and Sweden.
ITB

Thomas De Waen

#41 Post by Thomas De Waen » April 5th, 2020, 12:19 pm

In general, I think the natural wine scene draws considerable interest from winos in France, with a bunch of names that have become really cult-ish and still barely known in the US or looked at with incomprehension:

- l'Anglore
- Prieure Roch
- Beauger
- Bouju
- Richard Leroy
- Bernaudeau
- Lenoir
- Schueller
- Gramenon
- Metras (old cuvees of Ultime go for big prices at auction)
- Overnoy (his vin jaune goes for eur1,000+ at auction now, his other wines for 300+)
- Le Puy
- Ganevat
- Murmures
- Mirroirs
- Grande Colline
- Old Lapierre
- De Moor

Same happened to me... I have a cellar full of the big names in Burgundy and elsewhere and yet end up focusing most of my drinking/buying on natural wines those days.

----
ITB, and importing Prieure Roch and a bit of Anglore

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Chris Seiber » April 5th, 2020, 2:07 pm

Conceptually, there are tons of producers, and categories, of wines in Europe that have little to no export outside of their areas. Every coastal town in Italy has some local white wines they make (often quite good, usually a great complement to the local seafood there), but which you'll mostly only find right there.

I guess I wouldn't characterize those wines as being "unpopular" in the US, because it's not as though a bunch of that was exported to the US but consumers didn't like them and they languished on the shelves. You don't even find them in other parts of Italy, much less around Europe, much less in the USA.

Something like Sherry is probably a better answer. I'm guessing most Americans probably just flat out won't like that stuff. Dolcetto might be another good answer. Maybe Rhone whites?

m. ristev

#43 Post by m. ristev » April 5th, 2020, 2:25 pm

i feel there are more wines which are popular in the US yet have little traction in the country they are made. take a look at the threads for burgundy producers on the la passion du vin forum and it is interesting to see some of the producers that barely garner any attention there yet are really pushed hard by merchants as well as public wine personalities in the states.
mајкл

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Mel Knox » April 5th, 2020, 4:21 pm

In the 70s we sold lots of German wines, Ports, sherries, and Sauternes. Now Sherry needs a ventilator and the others aren't doing so well either.
The vineyards for sherry are 25% of what they were 40 years ago, I have read. For many years there was a question on the Master of Wine exam that read '''you are the marketing director for a Spanish sherry company...sales in the toilet...wtf are you going to do??'' One of the examiners was ...you guessed it...managing director of a sherry firm... I am paraphrasing Jasper Morris here so if the details are wrong, call him...he is self quarantined and probably would welcome the call.

In the 70s not only did we have customers with standing orders for a monthly case of La Ina etc but people bought "California sherry"...Almaden discovered the secret of flor yeast just as people lost their interest in the stuff.
ITB

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Dan Kravitz » April 5th, 2020, 4:34 pm

In Paris, if you order basic wine by the glass, it's inevitably cheap red Bordeaux and cheap Loire white. Anywhere else in France outside of winegrowing regions, it's cheap Cotes du Rhone for red and cheap Alsace for white. You want the poster child for wines popular in Europe but not in the U.S., it's Alsace.

As pointed out, Sherry isn't popular anywhere but Spain, and it's not popular there.

The world's biggest market for Port is France! Cheap, nasty Ruby is wildly popular as an aperitif.

Yes, central Europe and Greece do far better in Europe than in the U.S., which is too bad as a lot of good wine doesn't make it here.

Yes, how weird is it that 90% of the American wine consumed by Americans outside of California comes from California... it might just possibly have something to do with the fact that about 90% of the wine produced in America comes from California neener ?

Good thread, thanks.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Marshall Manning » April 5th, 2020, 5:17 pm

How about Savennieres? Yeah, a few geeks like them, but lots of wine lovers don't know the wines and think it's made from Sauvignon Blanc. It is, to my palate, one of the most (if not THE most) distinctive wines on the planet.
Marshall

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » April 5th, 2020, 5:21 pm

Man, weather gets warm what beats shellfish & Savennieres?

Too many vowels for our countrymen.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Dan Kravitz » April 5th, 2020, 6:08 pm

Sorry to have missed it. I love Savennieres.

Savennieres anecdote:

A few centuries ago I was driving from our Virginia home to our rented vacation cabin in Maine. IIRC this was c1980. I brought a little wine in the car, but not enough, especially as we learned we would have plenty of guests. Stopped at a gourmet shop in Wiscasset named 'Treats' (it's still there, 100 yards and other side of the street from World Infamous Red's Eats). I bought a bottle of 1971 Savennieres, IIRC, Baumard 'Papillon'. Again, IIRC, nine bucks, which was a lot at that time. Drank it with the mussels we did not die from eating (another story). Next day I drove 20 miles back to Wiscasset, bought the remaining 10 bottles. Really great wine!

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Mel Knox » April 5th, 2020, 6:28 pm

In 1977 I visited the Baumards. At the restaurant Jean Baumard ordered a bottle of Savennieres. We were informed that the vineyard in question had been ripped out and sold to housing developers. He said that because the land had to lie fallow between plantings for so long there was not much profit to be made.

I now see that K and L lists about 20 Savennieres -- if you include out of stock items--- but only one in actual stock.I m not sure what they mean by this. Is it not possible to order more or are they waiting for better times??
ITB

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Wes Barton » April 5th, 2020, 7:19 pm

Mel Knox wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 6:28 pm
In 1977 I visited the Baumards. At the restaurant Jean Baumard ordered a bottle of Savennieres. We were informed that the vineyard in question had been ripped out and sold to housing developers. He said that because the land had to lie fallow between plantings for so long there was not much profit to be made.

I now see that K and L lists about 20 Savennieres -- if you include out of stock items--- but only one in actual stock.I m not sure what they mean by this. Is it not possible to order more or are they waiting for better times??
I use that feature a lot. Often to recall their notes on something I bought, but they've since sold out of. Other times when looking for or researching a wine. Not sure that it means more than they don't have a shortage of memory and that it's easier to keep all that info in their database, a toggle tap away, in case they restock that wine, and easier for them to input a subsequent vintage. As a customer, you can see by vintage if they've carried it recently. You can click for an alert if the wine comes into stock again.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

Return to “Wine Talk”