Wines Popular in Europe But Not in U.S.

I have to feel like this is a lot less true than it used to be given the proliferation of social media and the like, but what wines remain popular in their home countries in Europe but have not really caught on here (not counting supermarket-quality wines). For example, I get sales pitches that say Couly-Dutheil Chinons are really sought after in all the top restaurants in France. Maybe that’s a bit salesly, but I feel like they probably are much more popular there than here. In Germany, I would say GGs and dry Rieslings though again that is much less true than it once was as they become more popular here. But I’ve heard of similar deltas where some say Markus Molitor is viewed as a top grower in Germany, but doesn’t have much traction in the States. Any other examples?

Markus Molitor makes fabulous wines for fair prices. He even releases some older vintages, so you will be able to find these quite easily as well.

Another wine region, I can imagine, is Styria in the south part of Austria. Some top notch Sauvignon Blanc is produced there. Look out for winemakers like Tement, Gross, and Wohlmuth, they should be available in the States as well. Recent vintages 2015 and 2017 have been excellent, but the top wines need time to develop. Tement’s Zieregg is probably among the world’s best Sauvignon Blancs.

There were a lot more 20 years ago. One that still comes to mind is Franken wines. There are some fantastic wines there but many (including me) don’t buy them because of the bottle shape.

I cannot speak definitively to this, but my sense is that Robert Weil Rieslings are more popular in Europe than in the US, where distribution seems poor. Very good winemaker if you like the style.

Very good but IMO generally overpriced. Though I suppose other producers have caught up and in many cases surpassed their aggressive pricing

Yes, the prices are high, as are many other Rheingau wines.

georg breuer

How common is Sherry consumption in Europe? My perception is that it’s far more common than here.

Sure, in Spain… but you won’t find anyone in France drinking it, and I remember serving an ancient (and superb) Palo Cortado to Burgundian winemakers and watching them recoil in horror.

I think social media and modern communications have done a lot to homogenize the wine world. Nowadays there’s a niche market that wants to drink Verset, old Joguet Chinon, Vatan, Rayas, Dutraive, Ganevat, Coche, etc etc in almost every country. And you will find people pursuing the same bottles in Paris, SF, NYC, London, HK, Tokyo, Beijing etc with comparatively little variation, just inflections in one direction or another.

All that natty shit that “can’t survive a trans-Atlantic journey.”

I was always under the impression that natty shit was a uniquely American pleasure.

• 77-packs sold out.

One of the biggest observations when in more rural parts of Europe is how most people drink what is local (ie. produced within their region). Or if the local wine isn’t suitable for a dish they’ll often drink a wine that is from their own country.

Whereas in the US, while most consumption made up of US wines, somewhere around 90% of domestic wine consumed is from California despite most consumers being outside the state. Even for drinkers within California there is less focus on what is from your region. You might be from Central Coast and love Napa Cab.

I can think of two French and one Chinese restaurant here in Bordeaux that serve it by the glass. But it’s far from common!

But this sort of Euroregionalism exists throughout the continent. Most Greeks, Bulgarians, Croats, Frenchmen, Spainiards, Portuguese, etc tend to drink what is produced in their own backyard.

Many non-city locations in Europe have limited non-regional restaurants (though that is changing more and more) so it makes sense that they tend to drink regional wines.

I have had a Tement. Super intense but still balanced. It was sold out when I went back for more.

I remember going into a small grocery in rural France and they had a fill-your-own jug of some sort of red in a tall cask. Probably was still good.

Sherry appears to be far more popular in England than it is in the USA.

Great thread idea. Although it’s starting to become much more popular here, I’d say Le Pergole Torte qualifies.

On a recent visit to Rheinhessen, outside of the usual Rieslings and Pinot Noir, the growers and Weinkennern seemed most excited about Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and Silvaner. And indeed they are good (along with the dry Riesling and Pinots.)