TN: 2011 Congruence - Cabernet Sauvignon Coombsville Reserve (USA, California, Napa Valley, Coombsville)

2011 Congruence Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley, Coombsville (3/20/2020)
– decanted approximately 30 min. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 2 – 3 hours –

NOSE: high-toned with some olive juice and jalapeno notes; oak; typical Cabernet Sauvignon fruit aroma.

BODY: clear; dark garnet color of great depth; medium-full bodied.

TASTE: soft, gentle tannins; medium oak; red/purple fruited; light smoky edge on the finish; light pyrazines, but not as much as the regular 2011 Cabernet from Congruence; medium to medium+ acidity; alc. is well-hidden (labelled at 14.5%, but seems lower); solid, but I think I may actually prefer the regular Napa Cab., purely on account of it having a more distinctive character than this one — referring mostly to the strong pyrazines in the regular Napa Cab., which appeals to my affinity for Cabernet Franc; this Coombsville Reserve is more “classic Cabernet Sauvignon”; I see no reason this wine won’t go another 10 years, and I bet it improves from here. Gut impression score for this one: mid to high 80s.

Thanks, Brian. I’ve found that this really does benefit from an extended decant, as recommended by Steve Eisenhauer.
The first time I tried it, I give it the full six hours that he recommended. I would not have thought to decant a nine-year-old wine that far in advance. Turns out he was spot on. I tasted bits of it periodically during that time, and it really needs that time to open up.

Thanks for chiming-in, Nate. I’ve one more bottle that I’m going to let rest for awhile, I think. Will do my best to remember to give it tons of air if my further ageing plan falls though. :slight_smile:

Felt like revisiting this one last night. Decanted about four hours ahead.
This wine is tasting great, but has years of life ahead of it.
The “green“ notes are turning into more of a dusty, herbal quality. The fruit is wide open. It drinks great now, but definitely hold some if you can.

Unfortunately, I did not view this thread before pulling my last bottle of this; as a result, I failed to give this the air time it needed, and that was also my assessment at the time of tasting.

2011 Congruence Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley, Coombsville (12/30/2022)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 1.0 - 1.5 hrs. –

NOSE: very oaky; little bit of bell pepper; purple-fruited.

BODY: dark purple color of great depth; medium-full to full bodied.

TASTE: dark-fruited; some noticeable bell pepper; oaky; inky. This was oakier than I prefer – it very well may have benefited from more air time. Drink Now with a decant, or continue to Hold.

I bought a bunch of Congruence when @Steve_Eisenhauer was closing up shop, he made some really nice wines. I still have a handful of bottles, and I think I might still have a few bottles of the 2011 Reserve…I will have to crack one open soon! The 2011 vintage got a bad rap, but I have found several wineries who did a great job with that vintage, namely Congruence, Bougetz, and Rivers-Marie to name a few…

My second Congruence 2011 Reserve, and sadly my second wine that was more bell pepper juice than wine. Opened at a group tasting (with about 30 other wines and 30 other people), and circled back after a couple hours. Everyone - yes, everyone - had a similar take. Not good. i opened a 2010 so that folks could appreciate how good Congruence wine can be, but the 2011 was not that. I have one left and will let it age for science.