TN: 2004 Etienne Sauzet Montrachet

• 2004 Etienne Sauzet Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Montrachet Grand Cru (4/3/2020)
    In a nice place. Smells of custard apple, toast, autumn leaves, vanilla and cinnamon. It is rich and heady in the mouth. There are hints of exoticism and a heart of sweet peach. It is layered, powerful and very long, with some toffee apple development.

Posted from CellarTracker

I see you are drinking well. Glad it was a good bottle. I stopped buying after several '99 Combettes were oxidized and not even very old. I’m not sure how the recent bottling have held up.

Sauzet has made a turnaround re premox and can now be relied on fairly well. More sulfur and tighter corks.

Sounds great Jeremy. Just making sure none of the good stuff left if the pandemic gets you??

Would you say it was at peak now, or would you have preferred to have consumed earlier, given the “toffee apple” notes?

Very good drink now Kent. A good bottle showing how it should at age 16. Given the vagaries of cork I suspect there would be a few bottles out there that would be a little fresher. There would be a lot of bottles that would have shown more toffee.

Do you often get splinters in your back side from sitting on the fence? :slight_smile: