'16 Domaine de Bellevue, Saint-Pourçain, the other Loire

This is a VDLT selection and priced very reasonably. I’m not generally a fan of the Loire, Cab Franc wines, but this is something very very different and possibly shouldn’t be called Loire.
It’s an old vine blend of 55% Gamay and 45% Pinot Noir and it is delicious. Similar to Passetoutgrains Bourgogne, the Gamay gives it a nice juicy, wild, and spicy character, while the Pinot is at the same time civilizing the wine with some lightness and elegance. It has a nice lively structure and is equally quaffable and great with food. We paired it with a sautéed potato gnocchi and spigarello dish, but some sort of beef stew or even a runny cheese would be perfect as well. Even better, it seems such a happy wine easygoing wine. One more bottle left and if it is just as much fun, then I’m buying more and probably also some other Loire reds. [cheers.gif]

Nice note Peter. Glad you enjoyed it.

Saint Pourçain is close to and has more in common with Burgundy than Loire. The most unique aspect of this nearly forgotten appellation is the grape Tressallier. It grows nowhere else in the world. Acidic and austere, it is mostly blended with Chardonnay and the results can be unusual and gorgeous.

An anecdote about Domaine de Bellevue: on my first visit, winemaker Jean-Louis Petillat pulled a taste of just such a white blend from a tank for me. I was mesmerized by the nose and beguiled by the taste. But it tasted rather mature. Jean-Louis sensed my confusion and informed me that it was almost 10-years old. Astounded (it’s not an expensive wine), I asked if the Domaine’s new owner allows this (JL’s daughters have pursued other interests so he sold the business to concentrate on farming and winemaking). He told me the owner lets him do whatever he thinks best. I was about to ask how they make money doing this, but then thought better of it.