TN: 2015 Grüner Vetliner Ried Stein 2015 - Bernhard Ott

Bernhard Ott, bearing the nickname “Mr Veltliner”, is one of the world´s finest Grüner Veltliner producers. His vineyards are located in both Kamptal and Wagram, east of the famous Wachau. While his most famous wine Grüner Veltliner Rosenberg grows in Wagram, his Ried Stein is probably his best cru in Kamptal.

Tasting Notes:
While Ried Rosenberg is probably Ott´s finest Grüner, Ried Stein is much more approachable at this young age. Aromas of ripe stone fruit, red apple, grapefruit, and grapefruit with a hint of mango on the nose. On the palate, again intense stone fruit, mixed with red apple and your typical white pepper flavour. This an intense, but very balanced and precise young Grüner with great complexity and length. While acidity is only medium, the wine still shows a lot of freshness and does not seem heavy at all. Highly recommended - 92 points

Any idea how well his wines would age?

Grüner Veltliner on the top level definitely benefits from bottle age, but is less ageworthy than Riesling (on average). While I prefer to enjoy Ott‘s entry level wines (e.g. Fass 4) relatively young, you can easily cellar his top crus (Rosenberg, Stein, Spiegel) for 10 years or more.

I have some Rosenberg 2015 in my cellar and I find it quite shut down at the moment.