2004 Carlisle Two Acres

Found this in the cellar. From the web site: 85% Mourvedre/12% petite sirah/2% carignane/1% alicante bouschet. Mike suggested drinking window was 2010-2014 and he was probably right. Still hanging on though, but somewhat faded/muted fruit. I don’t remember what I thought of this in past years and can’t find notes. Fine tannins. Long finish. Subtle, dry fruit. Still enjoyable example of an aged California mourvedre, but definitely past it’s peak.

The sweet spot for me is 8-10 years.

Uh oh. I have a bottle of this (and an 02 Syrah and an 02 Monduese). Guess I better dig these out

Don’t worry about the mond2

Just have to adjust expectations. Still enjoyable. I’m digging getting to know some of these at a different age with different characteristics.

That’s a crying shame. I have had high hopes for my 2002 Petite Sirah that’s been sitting around unopened.

Don’t think you have anything to worry about there. Those PS will go for a while. I’ve got some of that era hanging around too and in no hurry to consume.

Not sure why anyone would think that their experience will mimic the OPs. It’s a ‘caution’ based on their experiences, but we all know that sometimes our experiences match others and sometimes they don’t.

I can honestly say that I’ve never had an ‘over the hill’ Carlisle wine, but as others have noted, my expectations change as the wines become more mature. For instance, when I’ve opened some Zins after a decade or more, I find that they become less ‘zin like’ and more ‘claret like’ - and that is consistent with many zins out there. Still very enjoyable - just a different experience compared to when they were younger . . .

As usual, YMMV . . .

I enjoyed this bottling very much but I drank them 6-10 years ago. That said, my experience with two acres is that it ages very gracefully.

Mike, we had the 02 a few years ago and I agree with others that have said this should be drinking great.