Springtime TNs: Grilled Salmon & Rose'

Low 60’s and partly sunny today, so I decided to take advantage of Mother Nature and grill some salmon up. I do it with sea salt & EVOO, so I like the crispness of rose’ as a pairing. While unintentional as I was grabbing bottles, it turned out that each of the four wines is based on a different grape - in this case, Pinot Noir, Mourvedre, Nero d’Avola and Sangiovese.

Crisp, with a faint bitter note on the finish. Very refreshing. I believe this rose’ is pinot noir.

Expansive, and quite dry on the palate. Good persistence. This is Pibarnon’s “riserva” rose’, and part of the wine does it’s elevage in Stockinger casks, which look like amphorae - this tends to make the rose’ here a little “creamier”, for lack of a better descriptive, than their “normal” rose’. This is also 100% Mourvedre.

• 2018 Collestefano Rosa di Elena - Italy, Marche, Marche IGT (4/5/2020)
    Similar in color to the Gulfi. Also displays that citrus scent - this might be the 2nd prettiest nose after the Pibarnon.

Energetic and refreshing on the palate - this goes down dangerously easy. 80% Sangiovese, 10% Cabernet, 10% “other grapes”.

• 2018 Gulfi Sicilia “Rosà” - Italy, Sicily, Sicilia (4/5/2020)
    This is lighter in color than the Pibarnon. More rounded/less “chiseled” than the two French wines. Good acidity here, and maybe the lightest-bodied so far. Pretty tasty, if not overly complex. This is a Nero d’Avola-based rose’.

Posted from CellarTracker