TN: 1993 Ravenswood Zinfandel Monte Rosso Vineyard

• 1993 Ravenswood Zinfandel Monte Rosso Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (4/5/2020)
    From the recent Ravenswood library sale, the cork disintegrated on opening, despite using the Durand opener. Despite that the wine was glorious. Still vibrant red berry fruit, enveloped by an entire spice cabinet and a richly earthy element. The structure was mostly resolved, but a backbone of acidity kept things in balance. Delicious.

Posted from CellarTracker

Sounds great. Iā€™m having a similar experience with the 1992 Belloni Zin right now. Hereā€™s my note:

Orange/red color with brown rim. Big nose of sweet berries, brambly fruit, earth, and baking spices. Beautiful soft texture, with enough acidity and tannin to keep it lively. The palate is bursting with sweet cherry and raspberry, earthy notes, and some leather. Purchased from the library sale in 2019, and this exceeded my expectations.

Damn has anyone had a single bad bottle from this release? I opened the 93 Sonoma Merlot and it was delicious. This was the sale of the century.

FYI, it was just as good on night two as it was on opening.

God wine.

Joel Petersen poured this at a Once & Future Pick Up a couple years back and it was everything you described. My daughter who is quite a good taster and evaluator of wine was visiting and when she tasted it exclaimed, ā€œwhere the hell can I buy thisā€.

Tom

David, how much air did you give it before consuming on night one? I opened a '93 Monte Rosso several weeks ago and after 90 minutes not much was going on - though it was nice. Didnā€™t have much of a chance to follow it as it was shared with three other folks at dinner.

But a few other of the Ravenswood library I opened a few weeks ago I gave a good three hours and they opened up quite nicely. Iā€™ve got one more '93 Monte Rosso - would like to give this a better chance.

Thanks for the note. I enjoyed my lone bottle of 93 Cooke Vineyard from the sale. Amazing to see these wines still alive and shining.

Zero air. It was great from first pour right after opening. It actually held quite stable the entire time, even into night two.

Wine was exquisite and cork perfect. This was not from the recent library release. Perfect Zinfandel, exploding with taste thru long finish.

Mt. Rushmore Zin!

E3B2CDCF-6B99-4C9A-8383-D7B124AF6243.jpeg

2 Likes

Love it - Nice work buddy! Iā€™ve never had the 93, but the 94 MR is my 2nd favorite Ravenswood ever (incredible last I had it in 2018) next toā€¦believe it or notā€¦the 82 Sonoma County! JP confirmed it was all Teldeschi fruit, and it showed. Just a stunning wine consumed this past January.

Cheers man!

1 Like

David,

Thanks for the tasting note. Iā€™m glad to hear that the ā€˜93 MR was not only alive, but kicking. I have the ā€˜97 MR in my cellar and now I can let it stay in their a little longer without worry.