TN: 1992 La Jota Cabernet Sauvignon Anniversary Release

• 1992 La Jota Cabernet Sauvignon Anniversary Release - USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain (4/5/2020)
    Much darker Then expected, even for HM. Looks more like something from the early 2000’s. Only a hint of lighting at the edges. The nose eventually developed, after a couple of hours into a fairly powerful bouquet of red fruits that went from more sweet (think cherry rhubarb pie with mint) to more savory and slightly darker fruited as it aired with notes of burnt embers/pain grille, high class pipe tobacco, cassis and earth. Palate ended up fairly smooth and balanced after it opened, where as it started out a bit acidic. The finish was long and detailed. What a couple of hours can make. It it went from a semi-boring singular typical Cabernet to a highly complex detailed expression of what Howell Mountain can do at its best. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

My favorite wine region, and from early 1990s.

1 Like

That is a solid 100/100 note!

Under appreciated winery.

91-97 were pretty epic for La Jota HM Cabs, 92 may be best of them all.

The '92 La Jota 11TH anniversary Cab has always been one of my all time favorites !

I missed the earlier vintages, but had some '94 and '95 HM and Anniversary, and loved them. Great stuff. One bottle of '95 HM left…

Picked up 6 bottles of 1997 La Jota Anniversary tonight in the Acker weekly auction for $83/bottle all in including BP. I’ve had the '92 and '93 and love them. Excited to have some of the 97’s on hand to try soon.

RandyC - at this price this in not even bargain, this is STEAL!! If I could have a chance to buy at least 1 bottle of 97’ at 120 USD I would call myself as lucky man. La Jota Anniversay of Helen Turey era (91-97) is on my bucket list. Unfortunately in Europe this is impossible to do…

Great wine, great note

Scored a case of this 3 years ago from Acker at $65 all in. It was just listed as Howell Mt. not Anniversary. Unfortunately have only 4 left.

Is regular Howell Mountain cuvee different from the Anniversary Release?

Yes, think of them as the “regular” and the “reserve,” respectively.

That wine was hard as a rock when it first came out. Glad to hear that it’s come around.

Marek, if you ever make it over from Poland and happen to pass through Dallas, let me know and we’ll do a tasting of 92, 93, 95, and 97!

Or Chicago.