TN: 2018 Sandlands Zinfandel (USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi)

I saw Tegan recently and he slipped me this bottle. Been meaning to give it a whirl but shit’s been hitting the fan lately. Glad to finally have a chance to sit down and enjoy this without any background noise or disruptions. Happy sheltering in place!

• 2018 Sandlands Zinfandel - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi (4/5/2020)
    Was wound up on day 1 so I recorked and left it sit for a few days, notes from day 4.
    Nose of blackberry and spice. Red currant, black cherry and bramble accentuate the palate. Crunchy dark fruit, more black cherry and raspberry that doesn’t hit you like a ton of bricks but rather caresses the tastebuds with round berry fruit, a creamy texture and minimal alcohol. Reminiscent of a fine Claret, light on it’s feet but no slouch either. Needs a little time for tannins to soften then this will really shine. Easy buy when the release comes.

Posted from CellarTracker

Damn

Nice! Kirschenmann I take it? Looks to be a little more dark fruited and heftier than the 12.6abv Kirschenmann from Arnot-Roberts I just had.

I’m sooooooo jelly.

By the last glass it actually took on purple fruit notes. I really enjoyed it’s evolution.

The wine sounds great, looking forward to it - Tegan making Zinfandel? Imagine that! [wink.gif]

I’ll bet there was s 10yr non-compete clause in his contract with Turley.

Allocation predictions?
I’ll gladly take max offered

None. He does own Kirschenmann though so whatever is left after Morgan, Mike, Nate-Duncan I would imagine.

So, none… [wink.gif]

I don’t know about you, but I got 1. neener

Scott-
We plan on releasing the Zinfandel in the Fall.
Brian-
Thanks for the note. I’m excited to see how our first Zinfandel evolves over time. We made about 175 cases of this wine. The majority of Kirschenmann Zinfandel goes to Turley. We also sell to Bedrock, Precedent Wines (the personal label of Nathan Kandler who makes the Thomas Fogarty wines), Fields family, Scholium Project, Arnot Roberts and Sandlands took our first little not in 2018. I can’t wait to taste through some verticals of all the producers some day.

This sounds like it will be a great addition to the lineup, can’t wait. Love what he did at Turley.