TN: 2014 Sky Vineyards Zinfandel

Sky just released their 2014 Zinfandel. I picked up some bottles on wine.com and my tasting note is below.

Crimson in color. 14% ABV. Sublime nose of jammy red and black fruits, licorice and pepper. Full bodied with mouth watering acidity. Big and jammy but still somewhat rustic. Somehow this Zinfandel threads the needle between modern and Claret in style. Blackberry, black cherry, earth and pepper on the palate. Exceptional length on the finish. Delicious, mountain grown Zin that has the structure and concentration to age well. Best over the next 3-5 years.

My rating: 93 points.

The full review is on Zinfandel Chronicles.

BTW I love the artwork on the labels which changes every year.

Tom
IMG_2122-e1585772066432.jpg

Sounds so damn good my friend - really enjoyed reading this note on your blog and Insta. I’ll post my thoughts on the 09 after I open it (hopefully soon).

As you know I am not a huge fan of bottle age on Zinfandel but I think Sky is built in a way that time in the bottle is not a detriment. Look forward to your note on that '09.

Cheers, Tom

Tom, in case you haven’t already checked it out, the Bedrock Wine Conversations podcast with Skyla Olds from Sky is pretty great (and they discuss the label artwork as well). Cheers, vince

Thanks Vince. I will definitely check that out.

Tom

Killer note. Been meaning to grab some Sky, but this note inspired me to buy the 2014 today. Thanks!!

Thanks. I think they sold out on wine.com but I know it is still available at a handful of stores on winesearcher.

Cheers, Tom