D’yquem 2005 danger Will Robinson!

My first bottle of D’Yquem was a real disappointment. It was a 1998 and I had a ‘The Emperor has no Clothes’ reaction. What was the big deal? It seemed no better than a Bonny Doon stickie at a fraction of the cost. Well I guess I had either a bad bottle or vintage, because oh my God this is awesome! When the first thing you think after the initial taste is “All I have is this bottle and I want more”, you know you’re in trouble. This is like drinking sheer bliss! The best wine in ten years! I may have to rearrange my buying routine to make some financial room. I must have more!

I haven’t had the 2005, but I have had many other vintages and often have the same reaction. For what it’s worth, the '98 is a very good to great sauternes, but not a great Yquem.

In that general era [of a 1998 shipped in the early 2000s], any particular off-bottle could very well have been suffering from having been exposed to a great deal of heat in the distribution channel.

Back circa that general era, our market was awash in heat-damaged wine.

Although I have to say that [at least around here] the channel has really gotten its act together in the last few years, and it’s been a long time now since I’ve crossed paths with any heat-damaged wine.

Been thinking about this all night. Hedonistic is not just a concept to me now. This brought out an unpleasant, selfish and greedy feeling. What if some thief breaks in and steals my opened bottle. That I should not waste anymore on the better half who doesn’t really enjoy it like I do. I see myself in those before and after photos happy and healthy, then bloated and toothless, after years of d’Yquem abuse like those meth pix. I feel like Donald Pleasense in a Colombo mystery. I am enthralled!

Robert… 98 is a nice Yquem, although it is lighter in style. That’s the vintage. 05 is a much better Yquem, as the vintage is very good for Sauternes. Perhaps the best value out there right now is 96/97. Both are very strong years for Yquem. For everything you ever wanted to know about Yquem, and more… Learn about Chateau d'Yquem Sauternes Bordeaux, Complete Guide

FWIW the 1998 is among the weakest/least satisfying of the Yquems that I’ve had. I recommend the 2008, which is a tropical fruit festival and a relatively affordable vintage :slight_smile:

My recommendation for a while has been the 2003. It’s still a bit oaky and unapologetically full bodied, but still balanced and full of character. Not too badly priced either. I haven’t had the 2008 though, it’s nearly as cheap as the 2003 but not quite…

Agreed, enthusiastically :slight_smile:

My last impression of the 2003 is from 2015 but I had it as ‘very good’ in my notes which is 95+. Thicker, rounder than the 2008 with less of a lifted nose, but with a good undertow of acidity and never cloying. And lots of the hedonistic coconut character which I enjoy [cheers.gif]

Oh man, it sounds like you’d OD on the 01. Tread with caution.