'98 Figeac and '06 Leoville Poyferre

With everything going on no excuse not to open good bottles. It has been 5yrs from my last Figeac bottle and it’s showing great. Really impressive old school style. I haven’t tried any recent vintages and I bought the '16 after all the raves–but I doubt it’ll taste like this once at 22 years old. The LP was just OK, opened way too early. It’s accessible, just not very interesting at this point.

• 1998 Château Figeac - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/5/2020)
    Great bottle. Not especially concentrated or powerful. What is has is nuance and depth. Fantastic aromatics that lean a bit green, but a lovely cab expression. Has a bit of peppercorn mixed with camphor, eucalyptus, and tobacco leaf. Palate is rather fine, fresh, with moderate tannins still present. Fruit profile moving towards the savory tobacco end of the spectrum. At or near peak for me. This is on the leaner herbal end of the bdx spectrum—not for everyone. (95 pts.)
  • 2006 Château Léoville Poyferré - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (4/5/2020)
    Not ready. Has an astringent quality to the tannic structure. Nose rather closed, just a hint of lifted mint. Fruit is there, leans dark but it’s fresh—not giving up a lot yet. Oak mostly integrated. Good concentration. Hopefully just a few years away from waking up as quality seems to be there, though doubt it’ll be as good as the '00 (my only recent comparison). Only upside at this point. Best to hold. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

That Figeac sounds perfect, I have one bottle that keeps winking at me when I open the 1998 drawer! It’s time!

Robert, when I went to a Figeac tasting a few years back, the 1998 was one of my favorites. TN: Chateau Figeac dinner with Mr. Eric d'Aramon - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

You have a 1998 drawer?

Yes, but a drawer in a wine fridge is not that many bottles if you think about it. Sorry if that sounded pretentious.

And Neal, it’s all right bank. :wink:

LOL it did not sound pretentious in the least. I’m just impressed at your level of organization!