Couhins-Lurton 08, Pontet-C 03, Sociando 01, Brane 00

Having a well-stocked cellar during lockdown is an undeniable plus. Not going out means doing some fun tasting at home!

Couhins-Lurton - Pessac-Léognan - 2008 (White)

Very clear and precise aromas of apples, lemon and stone - no oak at all. The attack is fresh and focused too, clean apple and pear, with a slightly more waxy middle section and a long, very refined finish, mostly lemon but with a hint of sea-spray right at the end. Excellent stuff - which proved to me again that a screw-cap does not prevent a wine from ageing well.

We tasted the next three in the order of my notes, then simultaneously:

Sociando-Mallet - Haut-Médoc - 2001

Same as usual! The blackberry aromas were perhaps a little more present than the pencil shavings this time. In the mouth, very charming, the blackcurrant and plum flavours are well brought-up and elegant, getting the tastebuds ready for the streak of raspberry that comes next and the finish is still long and fresh.

Pontet-Canet - Pauillac - 2003

Unlike the others, this was decanted five hours before tasting - and it really needed more. Cigar box and cassis on the nose, much deeper than the others. On the palate, much bigger and denser than the other wines - this is a heavyweight: rich, thick and jammy cassis, unfurling slowly on the tongue, with hints of liquorice and leather, perhaps more forest fruits in the middle section, then a reasonably long finish. Much more reticent than the last bottle tried.

Brane-Cantenac - Margaux - 2000

Coming after the PC 03, this was like a colour photo compared to black and white. The aromas were zinging all over the place - blackcurrants, spring flowers, raspberries, wet stone, pencil shavings, a bit of earth, then back to the blackcurrants. Amazing stuff, one of the most expressive bouquets for months. The taste is along similar lines - red cherry at first, then blackcurrant, then a bit of blackberry, then it zooms off to the four corners of the palate in the middle section with added redcurrant and raspberry, like a starburst, but without ever losing control - this is no Rolland creation - the sweetness of the fruit, still quite primary, is tempered by the dusty Margaux elegance and poise. As for the finish, it’s quintessentially Margaux. La classe!

Our first impression was pretty clear - the Brane was on another level. Trying the three glasses together however favoured the S-M, because it had a beguiling touch and a freshness that were really appealing, but did not favour the Pontet-Canet at all. The latter did OK on its own, but faced with the other two, it tasted monolithic and even a little clumsy. Pitting the Brane against the S-M, a glass in each hand, was more interesting - the S-M’s lithe, sensual body allowed it to defend itself admirably, but the smorgasbord of flavours meant that the Brane was never in any real danger.

I wouldn’t have guessed that the Pontet-C was a 2003, there were no pinched flavours or burnt fruit, but on the basis of this bottle it needed another five years at least.

In terms of value, the Sociando-Mallet was the clear winner, costing half the price of the other two - and this proved to me, again, that this is the equivalent of at least a 3rd Growth.

But glory to the winner - Brane-Cantenac 2000 is a lovely wine, certainly in my top three Margaux in 2000.

Had two very similar experiences with the 2003 Pontet Canet over the last several months; it seems to be going through a bit of a closed / dumb phase, as bottles five years ago seemed much more acessible and open for business. I’m going to do my best to wait until 2025 before I open another bottle.

Yes the Brane 2000 may be the best wine I have ever had from the estate apart from the 2010, which is at least its equal. Great value too.

Sounds like the right idea - I got some for one of my daughters’ birth year collections - I’m glad that I did because I certainly can see this being a long-distance runner, but the Duhart tried recently was a lot more fun right now.

I haven’t tried the 2010 yet, but yes, I think the 00 is the best I’ve had, although I did enjoy the 1996 a few years ago. The 2000 somehow manages to be both modern and classic, with modern fruit but a classic structure.

The 2009, 2015 and 2016 Brane Cantenacs are outstanding too

Thanks for the fascinating write up Julian

By coincidence, I have my first bottle of 2003 Pontet Canet on death row having recently taken my case out of storage. It is in the queue behind 1996 Sociando Mallet, so I might try them together, both former BWE wines of the year, the former more controversial than the latter.

I had a 2000 Brane not long ago at a big bordeaux event and it was the class of the night. I immediately bought some more. Your note captures it wonderfully, early days still but giving lots of enjoyment now…

Most 03 claret either need more time or were better younger.

I’ve probably had the 03 Pontet Canet a half dozen times spread over the years, and it always seemed to me a wine that was just always going to be open and delicious.

It would surprise me greatly if it were entering some closed phase now, as opposed to maybe just bottle variation or varying individual taster reaction to the wine, but who really knows what happens inside the glass bottle.

Ian - thanks, I need to find some Brane 09 when all this is over. I hope you like the SM 96 more than I did - like PC 03, I found it was in a troublesome phase at the moment.

Pat - thanks, glad we agree on the Brane 00!

Chris - It’s only my taste, as always, but it didn’t taste like the one I had in September 2018 and it certainly wasn’t flawed. Actually, it tasted a bit better last night - I had kept a glass back.

I forgot a little detail - the Brane 00 was one of six I bought just before lockdown. They were a bit cheaper than before - I only realised why when I received the bottles - they are all ex-export. I hadn’t noticed on the auction photo, but all have an extra label on the front saying that they are imported by Diageo N.Y. I don’t know if they actually crossed the Atlantic twice but it’s the first time I’ve seen that - anyway, if Saturday’s bottle is a guide, they must have enjoyed the cruise.

Deleted.

Cheers Steen! Have you tried the LLC 03?

Deleted.