TN: 2016 Biggio Hamina Cellars Sangiovese Kiona Vineyard (USA, Washington)

• 2016 Biggio Hamina Cellars Sangiovese Kiona Vineyard - USA, Washington (4/6/2020)
    This was totally delicious. Washington’s version of a Chianti Classico. Very clear, light ruby color. The appearance belies its concentration, as bright cherry and raspberry flavors jump out of the glass, and are abundant on the palate. Very bright, and the acid provides a great contrast to the pleasing sweetness of fruit. Delicious, and a great match with pasta and a hearty meat sauce. (91 pts.)

This was part of the 6-bottle mystery case and was a joy to drink. Nice wine, Todd, and thanks for including it in the mix!

Hey Brandon, glad you liked the wine. The Sangio was a one hit wonder for us, but has been a pleasure to make and watch evolve. It really likes air and being open. We did it with 20% whole cluster and aged it in neutral French oak barrels for 23 months on its original lees. More spontaneous ferment, then unfiltered goodness.

Totally cool about the spontaneous fermentation and whole cluster. It was so juicy, bright, and fun to drink.

My wife and I opened our bottle tonight
Loved it. Bright. Went well with our meal.
I took the hint and opened it an hour or two before.

Thanks Will!