TN: 2017 Franny Beck Pinot Noir Johan Vineyards (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley)

• 2017 Franny Beck Pinot Noir Johan Vineyards - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (4/6/2020)
    Pretty and expressive nose of pure dull (as in not bright) cranberries, which is a good thing; some soft notes of cola, sassafras and cool blueberries. palate shows some real defined distinction as in every thing is in place, compartmentalized but yet harmonic, which is a feat. soft undertones of red/blue fruits surround some deeper darker fruits which really just linger in the backdrop. This wine is super-balanced and refined, something I see as a pattern for the Franny Beck Pinot Noirs I have been tasting through. As this sits it becomes even more welcoming and structured and my dear friend, orange rind comes out; deft, elegant and refined, this had the tremendous mid-palate verve, but not ponderous, nor tiresome. Long and thru, thus is really an amazingly pleasing Pinot from an area I am not so familiar with, but I am fixing that soon. Well done! (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Awesome review. I popped the ‘16 Willamette Valley and loved every sip. Just delicious. Haven’t tried the single vineyards yet but now really looking forward to it.

Immediately ordered more of the ‘16 WV Pinot, the Rosé of Pinot and the white Pinot. I haven’t tried many Pinots but this was absolutely in the sweet spot of my strike zone!

Hey Mike, glad you’ve been enjoying the wines and again, you’re note is spot on. Love the recognition of balance most of all. Above all else, that’s the goal with my wines, independent of vintage. I will tell you, that orange rind quality you called out is classic Johan Vineyard. I always find that (and a kind of sense of blood/iron) in Johan single vineyard wines across producer. Thanks again!

Great note Mike - thanks for sharing. I am late to the Franny Beck party but thanks to Berserkerday, I am slowly fixing that. These wines are simply wonderful and an outstanding value as well.