Antique Decanter and/or Champagne Saber

Not sure this is the right spot for this question but my wife gave me those ideas for her birthday and I generally like something special and antique as opposed to buying off Williams Sonoma or an equivalent. Anyone have any ideas on where to look? I looked on ebay, seems like you would run higher risk of fakes for the nicer items while somewhere like MS Rau is too expensive for me. I have to believe there is something in the middle. Thanks in advance.

Rare Wine Co often carries antique decanters.

Cheers,

Hal

If price is no object, and the age of the decanter is important, Rare Wine Co. Some of their less pricy decanters look boring, and the more expensive ones interesting. I wouldn’t buy any of them because of my money and my lifestyle, but I’d trust them with everything. Best source for olive oil anywhere.
I’m not sure I’d be worried about fake decanters on EBay unless you’re going to spend over $1000.

Flea Markets if you have the time to search. I’ve found some wonderful decanters in MD and PA at various markets. Lots of junk so it can get tedious. I also found some beautiful ones at local auctions. When I lived in CT, there was an auction house I attended regularly in Norwalk that I purchased many beautiful decanters as well as art.

This thread inspired me to check out decanters on EBay for a half hour. It was tiring. But I was surprised that in the the $100-150 range there are some beautiful ones (not antique though). I checked high end, and it would take a long time to plow through it, mostly weird stuff for aficionados only.

I checked with rare wine co and they only had one reproduction. If I were to look on eBay, what should I look for? I am thinking something in $500 range. Thanks.

I think Rare only does it once per year for the holidays. But it might be worth an email to se if they have leftovers if you really want a confirmed vintage one. I think they start at about your range though.

If your wife has a national heritage that is important to her you can look for that. As soon as you enter the search there’s a button for “over $115” which helps.
Also check shipping, some nice ones from England but several weeks and $80 to ship.

I collect antique decanters and $500 is not unreasonable at auction but tough to find retail. Within the next year, you will find several offers. I would check the invaluable web site to see what is coming up.

The other thing is when searching use “claret jug” also.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/search-results?searchTerm=Claret+jugs

A few interesting ones coming up for auction. The Elstob one looks particularly good, but after ancillary costs may be just above your budget.

Not antique but certainly unique…

http://www.massimolunardon.it/en/cataloghi/decanters/

One thing to consider is that many antique glass items have a high lead content, and wine can leach that out of the glass. So I’d be cautious about using them regularly, or storing liquor in them for extended periods.

Here’s a NY Times story about the FDA’s warnings in 1991:

F.D.A. Issues Warnings On Using Lead Crystal

By Marian Burros
Feb. 20, 1991

A recent study reported that wine and spirits can leach lead from crystal, and while no one is suggesting that $150 lead crystal goblets or $2,000 decanters be discarded, the Food and Drug Administration is recommending that people rethink the way they use lead crystal containers for food and beverages.

Lead is a chronic hazard that can damage the nervous system, the kidneys and bone marrow. Fetuses and small children are particularly sensitive to lead.

Jerry Burke, the director of the F.D.A.'s Office of Physical Science, made these recommendations:

• Do not use lead crystal every day. Occasional use is all right, but if you have a daily glass of wine, don’t drink it from a crystal goblet.

• Don’t store foods or beverages for long periods in crystal. This is particularly true for acidic juices, vinegar and alcoholic beverages. Mr. Burke defines a week or two as long. Others say overnight is the maximum.

This is all very helpful, thank you!

Did we really just gloss over the fact that his Wife asked for a Champagne saber for her birthday? Best Wife ever award nominee.

The octopus is really cool

Darn you Paul Roess.
I had no interest in buying a decanter before I briefly researched for your inquiry. It became a lot of fun. A lot of ugly Victorian crap out there. In the past 24 hours I bought from E Bay two gorgeous ones, one an elegant antique (age unknown and there was no premium for the age, I’d have paid the same for the decanter if it were new) from Russia where my girlfriend was born, the other a Murano but not a millefiore just thick glass in a heart shape. When I saw a decanter I liked I added it to my cart and when I got to ten I narrowed it down to one for me, but how could I not get the other. $150 each. I, and my great grandchildren, will drink from them.
Darn you. But thank you.
Sabers? A butterknife works just as well without the ostentatiousness. Imagine pulling out a beautiful Champagne saber and destroying the bottle. Happens all the time. Go ahead, make her look bad LOL.
Give her a decanter and then teach her how to saber Champagne with a knife. Win win. Then she looks like a Ninja, even if it doesn’t work the first time. Look for the seam.
As for the lead, it’s a real issue. I wouldn’t keep a wine or liquor overnight in a lead crystal decanter, like in the black and white movies where someone goes to the sideboard and these decanters are already filled and waiting, the contents having been there for weeks. And suddenly a shot rang out.
I wouldn’t for myself hesitate to decant a wine into a lead crystal decanter and serve it that evening, regardless of the math/science. But I can’t recommend it.

Given that her birthday is on Monday, I went for the easy laguiole en aubrac saber as it would arrive in time. You are right, can be done with a butter knife, actually seen it done with the base of a wine glass, but I needed something for her to open while we/she finds the right decanter. I started pasting links of decanters into an email, up to eight, and will let her pick out one this year. Really appreciate all the help and keep it coming as the process should be as fun as the outcome.

Paul

I have that one. She’ll love it.
I’ve done well searching for antique wine paraphernalia on Etsy. I bought a beautiful hand cranked decanting rack, much like Mr. Carson’s from Downton Abbey. It works great for port and old Nebbiolo.

Cheers
Warren

You might want to add antique corkscrews to your list. Some really cool ones

Or this

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/sheffield-plate-double-wine-cooler-104-c-2af4347930

Great idea on the wine cooler, I bought her a brass one last year!