Passover Wines

Curious what everyone is drinking for their 4 cups tonight and tomorrow :slight_smile:

Finished off a 2015 Reinhold Haart Piesporter Goldtropfchen GG tonight, that was firing on all cylinders after 3 days in the fridge. Opened one of my 2019 Bedrock Ode to Lulu Rose bottles tonight to pair with fish.

Running low on our “daily drinkers” here in nyc, I opened a 2016 serraboella Barbaresco from barale expecting it to be way too early but my god, what an enjoyable bottle.

Picked up 3 from Astor wine for some ridiculous price and wished I bought a case.

Made pseudo coq au vin. Not traditional but these days you work with what you have and don’t know what and when you will get. Had some leftover Osvaldo Viberti Barolo 2015 & 16 on the counter. So in the pot it went. That made selecting a wine to drink easier. His 2008 Barolo Serralunga has gone under the Coravin a while back. Young but rich, lots of sweet Bebbiolo fruit and lots of herbs. Really nice!

As mentioned in the daily bottle open thread we opened a 2018 Bedrock old vine zin and Quivira Alder grove Sav blanc. The Quivira is a knockout California sav blanc and bedrock, although young, really tasty after some air. Great evening!

2010 Fevre Chablis Grand Cru Bougros
2014 Chandon de Briailles, Savigny Les Beaune 1er Les Lavières

1981 Pichon Lalande

Had one glass of the 2015 Rivers-Marie Napa Cab during Tuesday’s zoom and we had the rest of the bottle with smoked brisket tonight. Tasty.

2013 Pelter I…a quality Cabernet Sauvignon from the Golan. Live this winery and especially this bottling

My birth year. How was it?

A532AA45-0CE2-4114-87BB-939884BB649E.jpeg
Jewish wine

I had a Somek Bik’at HaNadiv 2012. We visited there a year and a half ago when we did a culinary tour of Israel and thought this would be an appropriate wine for our virtual seder tonight. I believe that this wine is a Bordeaux blend although all the writing is in Hebrew so I am not sure. There could be some Carignan in it as we had a very nice Carignan from them that we had a couple of years back. In any case this was a rich wine with a lot of fruit. Not the most complex wine I have ever had, but it had beautiful fruit, tasted yummy (a technical tasting term only the most sophisticated tasters can use) and seemed perfect for the evening.

What could be more Jewish than a Rothschild wine.

Not sure yet. Carrie talked about making chicken in hot/sweet mustard sauce with au gratin potatoes. Now that it’s after 8PM she’s asking if I want a slice of American Cheese on my Kraft Mac & Cheese. I probably earned it so it will be something with too much fruit and alcohol like an El Nido Clio or Triga.

I liked it a lot, especially after about an hour in the decanter. A bit green on the nose, much less on the palate, resolved tannins with a lot of good fruit left. All the tertiary flavors are there. It’s in a good place - I’d drink it if you have it. Still going strong 4 hours later.

2015 Pierre Boisson Meursault & 2017 Tempier Rose. The Boisson was next level, total stunner for me. Reductive, concentrated goodness.

Had a super interesting wine tonight. A few years ago, the family and I were in Safed (Tzfat) in Israel. We found a small tasting room/winery amogst the old buildings in the old part of town. There an 12 year old hassidic boy was pouring tastes of his family’s wines. I distinctly remember asking him which his favorite was and he said “Im 12, I don’t drink wine”. :slight_smile:

We bought a few and drank them all shortly thereafter except for 1. I have had it in my cellar with my other Israeli wines that we picked up on our annual trips we make to Israel. Tonight, for passover, we opened it. 2009 Ancient Safed Winery Cabernet Sauvignon
It tasted…quite good. On the nose it was very much alive, albeit straightforward, with leather and dark berry smells. On the palate it still had acidity, tannins, and fruit. One thing that was interesting is that the wine had a LOT of sediment (see picture of my decanter even after two filterings and double decants). Also, the cork broke on the way out and left some artifacts to filter out.

What makes a wine breakdown like that given the flavors and nose are still very much intact?

First three pictures are from Safed and the last two are from tonight in Boulder.
IMG-6954.jpg
IMG-6952.jpg
IMG-6950.jpg
And from tonight:
IMG-7670.jpg
IMG-7669.jpg

That is a lot of schmutz

Finished off a 2014 Rivers Marie Carona Vineyard Cabernet from yesterday’s virtual tasting. Better on Night One. Opened a 2010 Lillian that I hope is better on Night Two.

We had a 2010 Saxum Heart Stone last night - delicious.

2000 Leoville Poyferre quite good still young