TN: 2008 Arcadian Syrah Hommage à Max

• 2008 Arcadian Syrah Hommage à Max - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (4/9/2020)
    Fascinating wine that has the suave character of a ripe Cabernet, combined with the sauvage, meaty elements of Syrah. Deep black fruit, herbal and tar aromas carry through an Impeccably balanced palate that echoes and expands the aromatics. My gosh I wish this was a magnum.

Posted from CellarTracker

Damn, that’s one helluva note. Am now regretting having both of my bottles at offsite; sounds like this would be awesome with tonight’s planned dinner of pork chops and lentils.

It’s so good.

This is one of the top Syrah wines in America. Love this wine.

Hmmm - May have to put one of these on deck. My son’s name is Max, so usually save them for him, but that isn’t going to be possible for a while.

This is a good one. Had it twice and very nice both times.

Glad to read that as I have bottle of 2007 vintage.

For those in the know, do you know what vineyards are in this? And since 2008 was a cooler year than 2007, I would expect some differences between the two.

Cheers

The 2008 blend was a single barrel each of Stolpman Estrella and Purisima T99 with a bit of Sleepy Hollow thrown in for good measure all from 1 year old barrels.
3.44pH 7.1 g/l TA 14.5 % alc

The 2007 blend 1bbl of Purisima T99 and 1bbl Stolpman cln7 and 1 bbl Stolpman Estrella. 1 year old bbls
3.5ph 7.4 g/l /TA 14.7 alc

I have 07 in mags if anyone is interested

Joe,

Those appear to be some great acid numbers, especially for the alcohol levels achieved. How long were the wines in oak? And thanks for chiming in.

Cheers!

As you know with extended age alcohols tend to creep up due to evaporation while the acids tend to hold along with pH.

2006 spent 26 months in barrel

2007 spent 28 months in barrel

I had an '04 a couple of weeks ago and it was very similar to David’s note. Just a delicious wine!

Count me as a big fan of Joe’s syrahs ! Cheers

Arcadian has gone out of business. Website is closed as is the tasting room. The former Arcadian Winery on Santa Rosa Road has the name of Terre et Entre but their website has no info.

Is this a joke? Joe just replied hours ago?

Ryan,

Not a joke. There was a thread about this not too long ago. Joe sold Arcadian and the new owner has him onboard as winemaker for a new entity - I think that Stephen mentioned the name in his reply above. And I believe Stephen and Joe may have some unfinished business - though not sure about that.

The real question is what will happen to the Arcadian bottles that are still out there - what happens if any of them are corked, for instance? Or ‘faulty’ in other ways? And are there still library wines available to purchase? So many unanswered questions - perhaps Joe will come back and answer some of these?

Cheers.

Hey Massimo, can you post the link to the thread? Can’t find it or anything about it on a Google search. Love to get the story from Joe if he has the time.

If someone is interested, yesterday I put note of 2007 on 2007 Arcadian Syrah Hommage à Max, USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley - CellarTracker

Appreciate the note, just got a mag of this from Joe. Any idea on a drinking window?