TN: 2015 Hartford Court Fog Dance Vineyard Chardonnay

Unmistakably California, but unmistakably good winemaking. A surprising amount of flinty/matchstick reduction at first glance, but lots of lemon curd, creamy oak (35ish% new), and a TON of stony/mineral character. Unctuous but not flabby, with good acid, a long finish and well balanced even at 14.8%(!) ABV. Not something I’m in the mood for often - or drink that often - but still has its place and a textbook example of well-made California chardonnay.

Wow, I’m definitely gonna keep an eye out for this. The ‘standard’ bottling is our house favorite but I would love some flinty/stony character in a Hartford Court!

It’s my first experience with them, but I’m digging it! Our (Ontario) price is, of course, elevated to the point where this isn’t an everyday wine but I would absolutely try their other offerings.

Slight thread drift, but the Fog Dance Pinot from Hartford is one of my favorites. It was the first SVD that really made me realize what SVDs were all about.

Is there a good style description for Hartford Chard? More cougar juice or old school?

Per Todd, this is one of my house wines when I can get it on sale. It isn’t 100% Cougar, but a lot closer to that than old school. Lots of fruit and oak, but a well balanced wine. You wouldn’t pick it out as a Burg.

Hartford Court wines I find generally to be quite rich. I have enjoyed the zins, especially Fanucchi Wood Road, but stopped buying because they are a little over the top in their opulence for my palate. I tasted at the winery about 3 years ago. Of their chardonnays, Stone Cote was probably the most like Cougar juice.

This was my first Hartford wine, but it’s definitely rich and full. Oak for sure, but I was surprised at the amount of mineral/stony influence that accompanied it. Admittedly some of that seemed to be reductive character, but it was still markedly fresh.

Hedonistic, but, like, less Caligula and more Gatsby? [scratch.gif]

Classy Hedonisim, I love it!

I had the ‘16 “Fog Dance” and liked it a lot. I think Hartford does a great job of capturing the lushness of the RRV in all of their wines.

Terrific wines. Their Stone Cote Chardonnay is also top shelf.

Thanks!!

+1
And their Four Hearts Chardonnay is delicious and a good value.

No need to apologize for this wine reflecting “Californian” characteristics as some of us actually prefer that!

Quite right, Bryan. I guess it’s clear from my wording that this isn’t my preferred style of wine, but I genuinely enjoyed it and thought it struck a great balance of what I consider to be true to form and also expressing some real character and sense of place. Nothing to apologize for when it comes to this wine, winery & drinkers alike.

Thank you for the post, great tasting note!

Hartford Court, and Dehlinger, are the two ‘meeting point’ Chardonnays in our house - my wife, who prefers a richer Chardonnay profile, and me, who prefers a truer expression of the grape

In the spirit of this thread I opened a 2015 Hartford Court Hartford Vineyard zin. A little alcohol upfront that goes away with time in the glass. Ripe with mixed red/black fruits and nicely integrated.

Wait, is anyone here? Can you guys hear me??

Boy I love the 2013 Monte Bello [Todd, can you hear me?!]. Just such a great wine [HELLO?!?].