when will 2010 lanessan peak?

I bought a case of this and drank over the last few years to check in. But it was never ready. 6 remain. And I dont want to waste any more checking in. And its not a great value where I live so I might not buy again.

When I tried it I didnt think it will improve much. I could be wrong of course but I think it is a drink now wine.

Or

Try one in 2025.

I’ve been drinking a case of 2005 Lanessan and could expect the wine to last another 3-5 years easily, possibly another 10. 2010 and 2005 are similar vintages, so I think you have plenty of time, IMHO

The age ability is there no question. but does more age bring more taste? I hope so, but not hopeful. Could be just a vintage fail.

Ok here’s my take, there is a bit of a misunderstanding amount some people regarding Lanessan.

One, just because it is inexpensive, doesn’t mean it either cannot age or does not require some age. You’ve had 6 bottles really within the infancy and early development stage of this wine, and frankly, any classicly-styled Bordeaux.

Two, it is a pretty classic wine, and in my opinion, the structured vintages generally require more than ten years to really evolve.

Three, this is not a modern-styled Bordeaux - what’s in vogue with the critics these days - that shows well young. Most vintages needs time. Recently only 2009 and 2014 have been delicious from day one.

Fourth, it’s not really a “wow” wine anyway. It’s an honest, delicious, classic, quality wine at an affordable price, with for me a score range between 87 and 91 in the vintages that I buy. I’m very happy when it falls anywhere within this range as I buy it to enjoy it with dinner, over a nice meal, generally during the week. While I think a mature Lanessan from a vintage like 2000 can impress, for friends and dinner parties I’m popping much higher end wines.

Fifth, not everyone likes this wine. My good friend MarcF and I share a very similar palate - we both love Sociando, a Bordeaux that some Bordeaux lovers just do not like - and he thinks Lanessan is boring. That’s fine.

So my point for you is, be patient. I have not had a 2010 Lanessan since 2014, and when I had it then, I liked it and felt it was structured enough to stick a case away for the long haul. I’m not likely to touch one for another 5 years, though to be honest, now I am a little curious. This is a big structured vintage across the board, I’m not touching any 2010s, compared to 2009, some of which are showing early promise. The 2009 Lanessan is beautiful.

Here is my recent note on a 1999 Lanessan, which encapsulates everything I said above into an actual note on a lovely, mature Lanessan.

These wines can age and transform into very nice wines. I’ve had bottles of Lanessan with 35+ years on them, from great vintages like 1982 and some fun ones from the 1970s, a none were duds or over the hill.

Finally, if you prefer early-drinking and modern styles, perhaps check out 2015 and 2016 Lanessan. Sadly, Lanessan went to the dark side recently, hiring Bouard. After 25+ years of buying this wine regularly, I’m out. I had 2016 this week (again). It sucks. For my yak palate.

Robert, in general (and not specific to Lanessan) what do you think of relatively recent Bordeaux vintages and in particular 2009 and 2010. I know you like 2014 a good bit, but I don’t remember your thoughts on other vintages. I don’t drink nearly as much Bordeaux as you do, but my thinking is that the class of recent vintages seem to be 2005 and maybe 2016 (have not had enough of this but the ones I have had are very good). I find 2009s to be too soft, too hot, raisony and not very elegant. Not a fan. Don’t really know 2006 and 2008 well enough to have a judgment. Cannot decide what I think of 2010 - some seem fine and rich, some seem out of balance. Like 2014 a lot more than 2012 - 2014 seems like it could be another 2001 or so. Also undecided on 2015 - I had a whole bunch but only when they were first released. Wines had beautiful fruit but seemed too soft. Not an over the top vintage like 2009, but how good will they be - have the wines firmed up any more with time?

Interested in your thoughts.

The two recent vintages that I bought most broadly have been 2014 and 2005. I wish I had purchased more 2008, the pricing was great and the vintage is balanced. I did not buy that many 2009s - Lanessan, incidentally, does not taste like a 2009 vintage, it has a nice vein of red. I bought selectively in 2010. I personally think 2009 is a bit ripe for me, generally speaking. I think 2010 is big everything - ripeness, tannins, alcohol, structure. Some wines seem to pull it off well in this vintage, but I also suspect it is a 20+ year vintage for the big boys and girls. My fave some far is Vieux Chateau Certan at the high level and Cantemerle and Sociando for the value plays. Cantemerle turned out a nice 2009 as well. Outside of 2014, most of my more recent buying has been selective purchasing, targeting the wine I want not the vintage as a whole. For example, 2011 - a so-called off-vintage - turned out a staggeringly good VCC. I bought 2012 Trotanoy because it’s great and I got it at clearance at $200. I also bought a case of 2012 d’Armailhac on clearance at $20 per. I have not bought that many 2015s. After 2005, I have purchased almost no St Emilions outside of some Figeac, Canon and Magdelaine. And now sadly, Magdelaine is gone (after 2011, which was damn fine), and Figeac and Canon have gone Hollywood.

The 2016 is a vintage that I do not want to like. I had declared that, at 54, I am out of the young Bordeaux hunt. But dang, I have liked many of these wines, well, except for the Lanessan I had this week. I am selectively buying more 2016. This appears to be a damn fine vintage.

I agree with all this.

I’m just starting on the 2000’s and think they are really good right now.

Some years like 2003 drank well much younger though.

I’d group 2010 with the grippy years like 2000 though.

If you do biz with K&L they usually have some stock of older vintages

Thanks everyone. i am hearing it needs more time and that’s what I’ll do. Maybe 10 more years. Robert, how you describe Lanessan sounds like a wine I would live. I bought it because of what I read of your and others descriptions on WB. I am going to watch WB for 2010 TN’s over several years waiting for consistent notes that its peaking.

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, if I were 20 years younger, or maybe even a young whippersnapper like you, I would have bought a good bit of 2016. As it is, I bought almost none. [cheers.gif]

They should just change the name of St. Emilion to Rolland and be done with it. St. Emilion is pretty much dead to me.

That’s St. Rolland to us h8ers!

A long time Lanessan fan, and I have 5-6 bottles left of the 2010 from a case purchase. It’s as big a wine as the 2009, but a touch ‘tighter’ upon release. I think it’s just starting to blossom, but these newer Lanessans are much more new world then they were 30-40 years ago. I don’t see the rustic charm these wines had in the 70s and beforehand, and they do seem much riper over the last 10-15 years -