TN: 2015 Foradori Teroldego Sgarzon

I’m a big fan of Foradori’s entry level Teroldego but was not sure whether I was going to love this or not based on the CT notes. Well I do and I have zero doubt that I’m going to buy more. It is easily the most interesting wine I’ve had in a while and massively delicious as well. I know these amphorae wines are not for everyone but when they are this good I find them absolutely irresistible.

• 2015 Foradori Teroldego Sgarzon - Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige, Vigneti delle Dolomiti IGT (10.4.2020)
    Popped and poured, enjoyed over 1.5h. The nose is delicious, articulate and intriguing with notes of savory fresh fruits (a mix of cherry and blackberry), licorice, smoke, violets and mint. On the palate it is medium-bodied and low on tannins yet with bright acidity and good intensity. Wonderfully succulent and firm, it has good textural depth despite being almost weightless. Thoroughly seamless with a long, clean finish that has slight bitterness to it. It is a refined wine of great harmony that is made for the table. I cannot really find anything to fault, I find it highly enjoyable and interesting in a pretty singular style. Some might find the absence of oak strange at this price point and/or be scared of the slight spritz in the beginning but neither of those would distract me.

Posted from CellarTracker

Ilkka,

Fantastic note, bravo! I have a couple of the 16’s (one Morei, too), a 16 Teroldego, and a bottle of the Manzoni Bianco. Have thoroughly enjoyed all Foradori bottles I’ve consumed and look forward to more. There is a television show called the Wine Show, often just funny and entertaining, but sometimes their travels are inspiring. One such inspiring episode involved them traveling to Foradori and interviewing Elisabetta. That interview/story just cemented my belief that Foradori wines are unique and distinctive and completely of the terroir. Cannot wait to dig into some more!

Nice note, totally agree–definitely love her wines.

I have a slight preference for Morei, a bit more fruit forward. But both are grand expressions of this varietal and her caring attention to the wines… I’ve got some great pictures of Elisabetta’s amphorae in which these wines are raised on my iPhone. Let me see if I can upload and then post to this board.

The Morei is definitely what I want to try next but the whites have received praise as well so looking forward to those too. I’ve enjoyed several vintages of the entry level Teroldego and the bang for the buck is fantastic - my gf has become super picky in the last few years when it comes to wine but that one is always a success. I would like to try the Granato too but the price goes up quite a bit there. Any idea if its worth the tariff? I need to check the tv show, thanks for the tip!

Good to know, can’t wait to try it myself. Uploading the photos should be fairly straightforward, even if they end up being upside down or sideways sometimes.

582920B6-3EA1-4032-882C-D6E9753E7640.png
Did someone mention Elisabetta’s amphora? I took this last year.

I love her wines. On our first visit A few years ago I think we only tasted the reds, this time we tasted reds and whites. I am sold on the whites now.

Foradori Nosiola is silly good stuff!

Cool! Any particular favorite among the whites?

1 Like

Sorry, I just saw this. I was partial to the Nosiola and my wife was partial to the Manzoni. So we buy both.

The tasting was a great experience.
DA906631-FED0-4066-82F8-33F09BDAF3B1.jpeg
0CC69603-92C0-464F-A3B2-4E408D914FAE.jpeg

Beautiful, thanks! I suppose I’m just going to go ahead a get a bottle of each to try. Did you taste the Pinot Grigio Fuoripista too?

Not had a ton of Elisabetta’s wines, but everyone I’ve tried has been great. She seems to be very grounded, calm and confident winemaker.

Also wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Fuoripista… popped up in a local shop but I can get Sgarzon for approximately the same price which makes it a hard bargain…

We had a 2016 Manzoni tonight, it was great. Took a little while to open and needed to warm from fridge temp to closer to room temp, but was worth the wait.

We tasted the Pinot Grigio and bought a couple of bottles, but I was not a huge fan. My wife liked it a good bit, so we bought it…

Alrighty, always good to keep the wife happy when possible [cheers.gif]

and it was in that very seat you occupied, that we had a discussion about Brexit with some (IIRC) French visitors (and Maria from Foradori). I was certain the UK would not leave, saying we’d realise there was no detail in what Brexit actually meant. How wrong was I!

Meanwhile in the cellar, those Tinajas (amphorae without handles) come from an artisanal producer in Spain. Obsessiveness seems to be in the psyche of Foradori, right down to the pride they have in their homemade compost.

Did you go anywhere else nearby on your trip? We’ve stayed in Molveno twice, and really enjoy it (though we didn’t like the upgrade to the ski-lift - much preferring the simple open-air predecessor to the modern sealed gondola. The local butcher was a quirky highlight, selling all sorts of things in addition to the meats, running a barbecue outside at lunchtimes and always having an enthusiasm bordering on the maniacal. A wonderful character. Trento also really impressed us as a city, so much so that we stayed there in addition to Molveno on our last trip. A friend described it as “a bit like Verona used to be 30 years ago before the tourist hordes arrived” and it certainly has a lovely spacious feel to it, plus some great local produce. Always on the lookout for other interesting places nearby.

Never heard of Molveno so I googled it and wow, that’s where I am going whenever it is possible again! Once been to Trento with my gf and we really really liked it. Just a beatiful relaxed town with a couple of nice restaurants, a great value accommodation in Grand Hotel Trento and of course plenty of option when it comes to excursions.

We flew into Milan, spent time in Trento, Bormio, Como, and Riva Del Garda. We want to go back to Bormio for a week to ride and then explore some more. Molveno looks nice too, we might have to check it out.
Our first trip To Italy was Rome, Florence, and outside of Venice. We never made it into Venice, instead we drove to Agordo twice to hike. I would like to stay there for a week also.

We stayed at the Grand Hotel Trento also. It was a good location, though Trento was a bit too urban for me.

In my (limited) experience so far I found both the Morei and the Sgarzon more enjoyable and interesting than the Granato. I recently had the 2009 which also in Trentino was a warm, “easy” vintage, and I found it bold, powerful and less distinctive than what I am used to expect from a Foradori wine.

Thanks! In that case that wine can wait. Just might give it a go if I happen to spot it in Italy on a restaurant wine list for a good a price.