50th birthday vintage (1971)

Looking for some advice on 1971 vintage wines to hunt for. Please offer up some ideas of what might still be in decent shape to drink, and hopefully not through the roof expensive. Thinking about something that I might be able to find <$500, $750 at most.

Thanks!

Barolo!

Champagne, Barolo, Pomerol and German Riesling.

Champagne.

But especially Germans, and especially MSR. Generationally great wines

producer recommendations?

This topic was recently explored (follow link) - good luck!

Pomerol. Specifically Trotanoy

Also good info in this thread:

Dom Perignon won’t be too hard to find and will be within your budget.
Trotanoy will also be “reasonably” priced. Certan de May if you can find it.
Others will serve you better for specific Riesling and Barolo advice.

Obviously provenance for any 50 year old wine is of the utmost importance. Fill, color and clarity are key.

Very helpful, thank you!

If you like German wine at all, there probably has not been a vintage since 1971 as good as that one. The closest are probably 1990, 2001 and 2015. But, this is a fabulous vintage. It has been many, many years since I had one of these, but you probably would do well either with a wine from JJ Prum or von Schubert (Maximin Grunhauser).

1971 was a very good vintage in Burgundy also. Also, have not had one in a very long time. I remember a hundred million years ago liking Faiveley’s grand crus from the vintage.

Great in red Burgundy and German Riesling, Pomerol with some major successes … left bank much weaker, but Latour is fine.

We really enjoy JJ Prum and is on my list to look for. Will a spatlese age that long or do I need to go to an auslese? also looking for Dom.

I have never had a Prum wine that was too old, but I have not had a wine from them that is 50 years old. I would get an Auslese to be safe, esp. since over time it probably has gotten drier.

71 Barolo and German for sure. check out Chambers St for some 71s that might offer some really great pleasure at a really reasonable price. ive gotten some alto Piemonte wines from there that I paid less than a dollar for each year of aging that were just outstanding. If you want a little more of a blowout bottle, might be able to find that too. (Giacomo Conterno 1971 $475 Perhaps?? JJ Prum Auslese?? both on their site right now).

if you end up going Nebbiolo, make sure you stand it at least several days beforehand, and give it at least 4-6 hours of air time. I open them around 11 to drink at 7, smell and taste a small amount (it almost always smells and tastes old at opening) and depending on how it tastes either leave it in the bottle with the cork out or decant it 2-3 hours beforehand. They can have a fairly magical transformation from what feels totally dead and thin to really beautiful with enough air.

If you have infinite money, Comte de Vogue Musigny or DRC(Marey-Monge) RSV. If not, you will have many choices. Great year for wine in general.

ive been pretty lucky with auslese so far in my life, and I’m probably gonna jinx it by saying this, but I don’t think ive ever had an auslese from anyone I thought felt like it wasn’t going to live forever. lol

I just did a search for 1971 Huet in the USA, and there are a number of outlets selling bottles, including the current importer Rare Wine Company. I’m sure you could find out if these are cellar release bottles (or bought directly from Huet/Pinguet family), which would make them even more attractive. 1971 is like a young adult Huet. Just getting going. My last 1971 (a Demisec) was still primary in many ways.

As a general matter, 1971 at Huet is plainly the best vintage between 1959 and 1989 IME. Clearly one of the great Huet / Vouvray vintages of the 20th Century.

Rare wine co also has a 1971 Mascarello Barolo that fits the price range…

Only one option.
Chateau Latour 1971, approx. 350 up to 400 bucks per bottle.