TN: 2005 Voillot Volnay Champans

dark blue fruits. Bigger than most Volnays. Licorice and violet, structured, balanced, round thick tannins. The density begs for another decade in the back of the cellar. Paired with a Flannery picanha, it more than held up.

Sounds lovely Alan.

Thanks for the note, alan. I am a fan of voillot’s champans and have been buying them fairly regularly since the 1999 vintage. I drank a half bottle of the 02 last saturday with a flannery ny strip, reverse seared to a perfect medium rare. From 375, the 02 is in a v. good place but with bags of life (as clive would say). I suspect the 05 is way more than three years behind. Query whether i will ever drink mine; I suspect the 2010 will be enjoyable much sooner.

I had the 2005 about a year ago. I found it pretty enjoyable at the time, but as you say, young, and better in 5-10 years. (the person who supplied it had double decanted it about 4 hours prior)

Own a few of these as well, so good to know–thanks!

Interesting about the 2010, which I also have. Do others agree?

Thanks Alan. Will keep my magnums of this and the 05 Rugiens under wraps a significant while longer!
For me on this easter sunday, RSV 99 from Cathiard - currently aerating…
Bestest

Thanks Alan! Will refrain.

Will be interested in how this shows. There are three good-looking bottles of the 1999 Cathiard Malconsorts in the upcoming HDH burg auction next weekend.

1 Like

Does anyone have a report on the 2010 Champans? i have a small pile but was going to wait another couple of years. A 2015 was opened last week in a virtual tasting in celebration of my retirement from my medical practice, but it’s a bit hard to get a true reading on Zoom.

I enjoyed the 2010 Champans last year. Very good on the second day though it will age well for a long time. I wouldn’t be afraid to open one and follow it slowly. There have been a string of surprisingly open 2010s over the past couple years.

IMHO, 2010s have never really shut down. Or rather, they (ok, this is obviously a generality) are so well-balanced and have such refined tannins that they remain quite attractive to drink despite promising to improve for many years.

Thanks for the note, Alan, and thanks to someone here (M. Cohen?) who posted a glowing note on this one at release. I had bought a few but that note caused me to go back and double up, and your note makes me glad I did.

Cheers!

Thank you for sharing. Have you ever had some Volnay from Domaine Nudant?

Picanha! Mmm.

Voillot, also good.

Cheers!
fred

Opened my first one last night, and had the other half of the bottle tonight. Even with a couple of hours in the decanter yesterday, it was much more open tonight than last night, especially on the nose. Not tight as a drum by any means, but even though it’s starting to show, I’d give it another 3-5. Tasty wine, though, and much as Alan describes in his note.