Barolo or Barbaresco. Which and Why

Relatively new to me so I will step aside and let those more learned share their thoughts. For my choice, I would say Barbaresco for its lighter body (and color) and ability to achieve some amazing near weightlessness. Both are quite awesome and what the hell, we have some time to kill. Where do you have to be? :slight_smile:

Just grabbed myself some 2015 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Falletto Asili that I tasted 2 winters ago at a Chambers tasting and loved.

Gattinara

…

Oh wait, I did that wrong.

dammit

I was (and will) going to say Barbaresco for price, generally speaking.
I recently picked up 6 2016 Giuseppe Nada Barbaresco Casot. Drank one before committing. Its like you mentioned. Amazing color. Weightless. Going to be great in a few years. I also drank a 2008 Produttori Montefico that was more fuller body but fantastic. Two very different Barbaresco but both great.

I think most people would be hard-pressed to distinguish the two in a blind tasting if it was a line-up of good producers on both sides, so I would be suspicious of the generalizations about Barbaresco being lighter or more feminine.

I find it easier to tell apart a Barolo from the village of Serralunga (or sometimes Monforte) from other Barolos than it is to tell those other villages from Barbaresco in most cases.

One big difference, though, is the vintages. While Barolo had hail and untimely rain in 2014, for instance, the harvest turned out well in Barbaresco. Conversely, 2010 posed problems in the village of Barbaresco proper, where a high proportion of the best vineyards are, while it was excellent in Barolo, and in the other Barbaresco villages. (E.g., the Produttori di Barbaresco didn’t bottle their single vineyard wines in 2010.)

I hate to be the one to use the ubiquitous best answer but its definitely producer over subregion in Piemonte for me.

I think most people would be hard-pressed to distinguish the two in a blind tasting if it was a line-up of good producers on both sides, so I would be suspicious of the generalizations about Barbaresco being lighter or more feminine.

Exactly.

Go by what you think is worth it for you. Barbaresco is about a third the size of Barolo, so you get fewer different expressions.

And the aging reqs are different - Barbaresco normale and riserva each require a year less aging than the equivalent Barolo. But for me, it’s hard to beat the Produttori normale for best Nebbiolo value year in and out.

And one of our regular house wines is just a plain Nebbiolo Langhe.

But tonight I think we’re going to have a Valtellina - a region very frequently overlooked. Roberto used to be a champion of these wines back on the eBob board.

What’s up with Roberto? Is he still around?

Someone posted a while ago that he was in poor health. I don’t know. I always liked his posts though and he was the one who got me on to Valtellina.

I hope he’s OK. He’s been gone for years.

Would agree with John here - in the hands of credible producers, no real difference in quality or aging potential between Barbaresco and Barolo.

Or to put it more concretely, I am equally happy having both the 2001 Giacosa Le Rocche and the 2001 Giacosa Rabaja in the cellar [cheers.gif]

The only reason I tend to collect Barbaresco over Barolo is because of price, once you get to Valtellina or Gattinara I see more stylistic differences, but between the two Bs its about producer and vineyard.

Agreed on the price point. Then it is a matter of vintage, producer, and vineyard for sure.

I love Barolo / Nebbiolo but don’t have much experience with it because of the high cost and need for long aging.
I know there are ways around that if you compromise (or spend a lot).
I am 63, so long aging is not a good option plus I want some to drink now.
Have said that these are on my radar:

Travaglini Gattinara 2015

Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco 2016

Seems like the latter is getting really high reviews and described as approachable.
I know it will be much better in 5-10 years and could stash some away but wonder if approachable also means enjoyable if only to experience it.
Recently had 2015 Mauro Veglio Barolo. I did enjoy it but not quite enough to warrant buying more.

The Travalignis sure can give a lot of pleasure for the buck, even at $30+.

The one bottle of '16 Produttori I opened a couple of months ago was NOT very approachable. If you want approachable, you’re better sticking with '15, I think – it’s a rounder vintage and the wines have an extra year in which to settle down.

The '15 Nervi Gattinara is delicious and approachable now

It’s not hard to find Produttori from quality vintages before 2014 for $65 or less.

Which? Both.
Why? Nebbiolo.

Much easier to tell Barolo and Barberesco apart with older wines (ie from the 50’s, 60’s and '70’s). It used to be that Barberesco looked more feminine and Barolo was masculine. With consistently riper vintages and changes in viticulture and winemaking, it is a lot harder to tell them apart.

Nebbiolo? Had some from ‘elsewhere’
Not good.