TN: 1994 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon Estate

Purchased on release. Decanted for 1 hour. Drank during the stay at home order.

Crimson in color. 13.5% ABV. Spellbinding nose of red fruits, cedar, leather and graphite. Full bodied, powerful and concentrated. Rich, youthful fruit in spades. Black cherry, currants, creme de cassis and mint on the palate. The finish is exceptionally long with silky, fine grained tannins. What a spectacular showing for a 26 year old bottle of Montelena. For my money, one of the top 3-4 wines ever from this Estate. I have one bottle left that I will open in 2030. Best over the next 7-10 years.

My rating: 97 points.

Full review on my blog: http://www.zinfandelchronicles.com/2020/04/1994-chateau-montelena-cabernet-sauvignon-estate-bottle-notes/

Tom
IMG_2162-e1586742175524.jpg

Man, you have been on fire my friend! Keep em coming!!

Nice!
Had both a 91 and a 97 over the past year and both were great. 93 is an outlier, but otherwise 90-97 Montelena are still all drinking well.

Thanks for sharing your notes. I only had more recent vintages of Chateau Montelena. They all definitely had a great aging potential.

Such a great wine. Thanks for the note.

I drank the '97 about a month ago. It was awfully good, showing just as well as an '89 Lynch-Bages and a '98 L’Evangile. Haven’t had the '94, but in general I find 1994 Napa > 1997.

Thanks my man. Lots of time on my hands to drink those killer bottles.

Tom

Hey you can get the 2003 for $250 a bottle on that terrible Napa Valley Sale!

I sell you mine for $225. champagne.gif

Tom

Tempting…but I think I’m going to load up on the 1991 Frog’s Leap Zin they’re offering at $115 per instead :wink:

Tempting…but I think I’m going to load up on the 1991 Frog’s Leap Zin they’re offering at $115 per instead > :wink:

sorry hopped on that deal already! neener

Ha! Well played!

Very fond memories of this wine. My first ever Californian wine. Superb.

Napa Golden Run of 91, 92, 94-96 (97 too for old school producers like Montelena, Heitz, Dunn, Forman, etc…). 5 of the best years out of 6 in their history, 6 of 7 for some.

Great wine. We had a bottle earlier this year. The 1994 Montelena Estate was better than the 1997, IMO. It had a little more polish and complexity, although it is hard to go wrong with either vintage!

Ed

It’s tough to chose between 97 and 94. Both were great. 97, in general, was a ripe vintage, and a lot of the Cabs were flashier early-drinkers as compared to 94,95,96. But the Montelena 97 is somewhat restrained for the vintage. It’s slightly riper than the preceding versions, but not a lot, and it stays balanced in doing so. To me that’s the sweet spot of great cab ias an alternative to Bordeaux. Montelena is definitely is currently on of the few top 97s .

+1 re what John said…I remember the 94 Monty as being an absolute monster back in the day…Huuuge wine, the 97 was more restrained, I think I still have one bottle left,(none left re the 94 or any earlier Monties)

I would choose the 1978 or 1991.