10 Year Anniversary Wine

Hello berserkers. I hope all of you are staying safe during this odd new reality that sometimes makes me feel like we are living in a horrible movie.

I don’t post here just mainly read and learn as much as I can. I will say some of my favorite wines we drink now are ones I learned from this site. Producers like Halcon, Sandler, Vincent, Goodfellow, Bedrock, Rivers-Marie, and Liquid Farm come to mind. I want to say thank you to this community for turning me on to a whole new world of wine for us.

My wife and I’s 10 year anniversary is May 1st. We would normally go out to eat for this occasion but that is not going to happen this year. I would like surprise my wife and buy a vintage 2010 (year we were married) Cab from somewhere where I can pick it up curbside or will call. I feel it’s too late to order online and have one delivered due to bottle shock. I live in Petaluma, CA and have easy access to wineries and wine shops in Sonoma and Napa counties. Most are doing curbside pickup. Just wondering what this board would recommend given the circumstances. Oh, we are probably going to have filet or ribeye at home for our dinner. Thank you again and I’m looking forward to hearing your responses. [cheers.gif]

Tim

2010 Ridge Monte Bello? That would be a treat and looks like available from Benchmark.

Reach out to Randy and Carrie at their shop in Napa. I am sure they will have something from 2010. They are active members here, as well as good folks that need the support.

http://www.napavalleywineandcigar.com

That was my first thought actually . I never had a Monte Bello before. Definitely in the running. Thanks Vince!!!

I will reach out to Randy and Carrie. Thanks Bill.

I love Monte Bello, but for me at 10 years old the wines are still showing a sort of pickley flavor from the American oak. I generally hold mine for 20 years to get rid of that flavor. If it does not bother you, then it is an excellent choice.

Benchmark has all sorts of nice cabs in stock at reasonable prices that would probably drink better than the MB.

Here’s a few that come to mind:
2010 Maybach Materium
2010 Schraeder BTK CCS
2010 Carter BTK OG
2010 Dominus

Michael, thanks for the response. This is the kind of info I’m looking for and need help with. We don’t drink a lot of Cab, mainly because it doesn’t match our cuisine and I don’t have a lot of cellar space to age wines. We drink a lot pinot, zin, rhones, chard, and sauv blanc. The cabs I do currently have I want to age. None of them are 2010 either.

You’re dead set on cab? 2010 burgs, cdp, northern Rhône, or some bdx would be good options too if you’re willing to spend 2-300.

2010 is a truly great vintage in Burgundy.

I was thinking local because I know most wineries are doing curbside pickup. I don’t know if any wine shops are open. I’m going to reach out to benchmark and also Napa Valley Wine & Cigar.

2010 Dominus

That would work!

I pulled the trigger on the 2010 Carter BTK OG. This will be our first wine from this vineyard and producer. Looking forward to it. Thanks for all your help everyone.

I haven’t had that specific wine, but have had many of Mike Smith’s 2010 cabs, including from Carter, and they have been consistently fantastic. I hope your bottle shows just as well. Happy anniversary.

Can’t go wrong with mike Smith.

Agree, that bottle should be excellent. Happy Anniversary!

Thanks again!!! I am familiar with the name Mike Smith but never had any of his wines. Part of the reason why I chose this bottle. I’m really looking forward to it.

And if it’s corked…??? [stirthepothal.gif]

It’s always good to have a back-up in case.

I recently had a Cabot 2010 Humboldt Co Syrah, and it was quite energetic/zippy and goes well with food.

Check out his aged syrah offer in the BD/Quarantine section - a steal at those prices and in case you polish off the Carter, a nice follow-up

Happy Anniversary! champagne.gif

Happy Anniversary to you and your wife, Tim!

Dave has a good point regarding a back-up. And, if you need a good dessert wine for after dinner, I would highly recommend a 2010 Climens. Lots of good choices from Barsac and Sauternes in 2010.

Ed

We have some backups in our cellar that deserve to be opened for a night like this, just no 2010s. A 2011 Chappellet Pritchard Hill will probably the one we pull if we have to. We also have a 12 but I want to lay that one down for a while. We have some dessert wines, a few late harvest options that are sweet. We are looking to make more of a savory dessert for the night.

I have always wanted to try some Cabot just haven’t got around to ordering any. Currently I am running into cellar space issues. We have a Eurocave and it can only hold 60-70 bottles, depending on bottle size. I recently bought over 3 cases with all of the quarantine deals and wine club shipments. Now Bedrock is having a special release and I don’t think I can order anything from it. I also wanted to order some Halcon too but just simply can’t. My better half is not onbaord, she thinks we bought enough.

Thanks again for all the advice and recommendations. I’ll be sure to post how the wine did with our dinner.