14 grand crus

I’m sure the conventional wisdom is that these aren’t worth opening at the current time. I was doing a quick inventory and noticed that I have quite a few bottles of 14 grand crus such as D-L beze and lambrays. Has anyone tried any 14s recently?

you’ll always find some here who will say “open.” What are you looking for? Many are likely to be closed and ungiving. If you have boatloads, do it, but 6 years for g cru is way too young for much of the fireworks. I’d vote to pass. Conventional wisdom is that for a reason.

Have been drinking plenty of village 14s and some of those even are pretty tight, though with some notable exceptions… won’t be touching my 1ers/GCs just yet. Probably only worth it if you have a significant amount of one bottling and want to follow its development over time.

Yeah I’ll probably wait. I have a case of the 14 drouhin laroze beze but I think the time to open one for primary evaluation was probably a couple years ago.

I think i’m going to open the one bottle I have of this 01 Charles Noellat Clos Vougeot

I had a bottle of the 01 and it was a simple wine. A bit thin, even for a burgundy. No mid palate. A very short finish. No complexity. Not very expensive, but not worth the price.

Yeah I guess we’ll see how it is. I only have one bottle so no time like the present. The table in my cellar has a bunch of stuff that I have standing up for various reasons; some because I just haven’t put them away and some because they are presumably ready to drink. Unfortunately it’s sort of disorganized so there’s a couple hundred bottles on it at the moment; the noellat CV was in front, so I guess we’ll give it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised to find half a case of the 15 barthod bourgogne on it. I really need to spend a weekend in the cellar putting everyhting on CT but just haven’t gotten around to it.

This is the rare thread where I actually have a semi-informed opinion. Late-ish last year I went to a tasting of mid-level '14 GCs, where we tasted:

Bize Latricieres
Bruno Clair Beze
Bruno Clair Bonnes Mares
Camille Giroud Chambertin
Camille Giroud Corton Clos de Roi
Drouhin Charmes
Drouhin Griottes
Jadot Beze
B. Leroux Mazoyeres
Perrot-Minot Chapelle
Roty Charmes

They were all shut down hard. I’d stay hands off. Only the Perrot-Minot and Drouhin wines were the least bit generous. FWIW, the Clair wines had the most potential.

Interesting…

twc just offered those two Bruno Clair 14s today.