TN: 1996 Jadot Chambertin

Wanted another nice bottle so pulled this one. Might as well drink them up!
Still dark ruby colored.
Impressive and youthful aromatics. Just starting to show tertiary characteristics.
Rich and concentrated on the palate, but still ephemeral and elegant. The duality rarely seen. Still a bit of tannins. Excellent acidity. Red fruited.
Long elegant finish.
One of the best table wines I’ve had in a while and that includes a 1982 Mouton from a couple of weeks ago.
In 5 or 10 years, this will be spectacular with a full on peacock’s tail.

Nice bottle, but, as you say, definitely too young. I popped one of their '96 Richebourgs last year and I still regret it, way too tight. Glad your big bottle showed better than mine.

Yeah, you read a fair number of middling reports on Jadot wines, but I don’t think folks give them enough time. You also read a number of downer posts on 1996’s, but I don’t think folks give them enough time.

Pardon my naïveté — what do you categorize as a “table wine”?

I agree with John. The Jadot grand crus need lots of time and blossom beautifully.

For me, table wines are nonfortified and less than Beerenauslese sweetness if botrytized. I have had some wonderful fortified wines lately. And you can drink fortified wines with food, but they don’t meet the legal classification for table wines.

And Josh, no?