Capsules: Does anyone really mind going topless?

Does not having a capsule bother you

• Yes - need it
  • No - don’t care

0 voters

Perhaps this would be better addressed by a poll set up by someone more knowledgeable than me. However, the following is the background behind my question.

A few weeks ago, I placed an order for capsules with a company I have done business with for nearly 30 years. The following day I was told that they have a new policy of requiring prepayment in full before the order is placed with the factory. Normally we have 30 days after delivery to pay and the lead time is at least 90 days between order and delivery. My response was that small wineries are having a difficult time with cash flow these days and this policy is making it worse. They replied that the corporate suppliers of their raw materials have changed terms to them for prepayment as well. I told them I was not ready to place an order under those terms. I might be able to wrap my head around a deposit to cover raw materials. But payment in full seems a bit much considering the amount of time involved.

We have used capsules since our first vintage decades ago and have continued as a tradition. I have seen newer producers start off without capsules and I appreciate their reasons for doing so. They have their own traditions. I am probably going topless too when we use up what we have in stock, at least as long as these policies are in place. After a couple of weeks, I’m still pretty pissed off about the situation and wonder who I should really be upset with.

I’m curious about others’ opinions on the value of capsules. It seems to me that they are the only non-essential part of the package: bottle, closure, label.

F

Your wish is my command. Poll created.

I’m guessing a significant portion of bersekers don’t care about capsules. If they do, I’d be curious as to why.

Now for restaurant / retail sales to the rest of the world… That’s different. The Caymus and Silver Oak crowd might feel different.

I am fine with no capsules. Don’t think that it affects long-term storage.
I do like seeing the vintage on the top of the cork, however, when there is no capsule. That is not a big concern; it is just a preference.

Fred, count me as one of the people who buy several of those “newer producers” as well as your wines. Capsule makes no difference to me in either quality or appearance.

Tom

Echo sentiments here so far - I’m fine without. Beyond aesthetics, I’m not sure a capsule adds anything. Also seems like a lot of winemakers keep bottles in cellar sans capsules and the wines are just fine.

Fred,

We’re in exactly the same position. We don’t want to pay thousands of dollars in advance for capsules but there seems to be no other option, no matter how good our payment history has been. So we’re going to do the same as you. Use up our remaining capsules, which will only get us partway through our next bottling, and then just go without. Or maybe wax, but that’s a pain in the ass for both the producer and the consumer.

Carole

Some of my favorite producers don’t have capsules. If you have the choice I wouldn’t bother. Put that money to use elsewhere :slight_smile:

I prefer no capsule. I do like the top of the cork to be branded with something specific to the producer so it’s easy to see what I’m looking at when the bottle is in a rack. This has come up before, and I think I remember a vast majority here not having a problem with no capsule. Of course, we might not be representative of your customer base as a whole. We might be more representative in the current environment as you transition more to DTC, though, and it seems like that’s probably a good chunk of your business anyway. I hope you find your way through this thing okay. I love your aged Zinfandels that I’ve had, and especially appreciate that they were library releases from your winery.

I feel like if you are making a wine you intend for customers to age for decades, put a capsule on it but if it’s something for enjoyment in the first decade then there isn’t any need. For example, Bedrock has some wines dipped in wax (Oakville Farmhouse) but most have no capsules. I’d have to think it is mostly just aesthetics?

Thanks for this. We get so used to seeing something a certain way. Maybe on the other side of the decision the bottles with capsules might look funny.

And I agree about the PITA factor of wax.

F

I voted no capsules but would like to register a much, much stronger vote for no wax.

Absolutely don’t mind no capsule.

Absolutely, positively, aggressively, beseechingly, ask for no wax, ever.

Doug thank for all of that. Actually, I really appreciate it when people age the Zins themselves [thumbs-up.gif] But sometimes you gotta show folks for them to believe you.

Your suggestion of a logo on the ends of the cork make a lot of sense. Thanks.

F

Why?

I am a believer, and I now have a few of yours resting in my wine locker.

No capsules and vegetable based corks like Dirty and Rowdy. Let’s move forward.

Agreed.

Please, no wax either. But if it must be, please don’t use the crispy Raveneau wax.

Wax is the most misunderstood seal. Stick your corkscrew though the top and pull. If you chip or cut it, you don’t know what you’re doing.

It used to be to protect the cork but now I think it’s more to check for coravin holes? I don’t know? I’ve yet to have rodents nor insects damage my corks.