Exploring Chambolle Musigny affordably? (Drouhin?)

Hey, most of my red Burgundy experience has been in the Cotes de Beaune, Gevrey Chambertin, and Clos Vougeot – basically since I sought out what were (once) more affordable regions. But I consistently like a more red-fruited and feminine style, while retaining some intensity. I can get that to some degree with producers instead of regions, but am interested in checking out Chambolle-Musigny since that is famously the style there. But the top wines from that appellation, and even some of the premier crus these days, seem very expensive.

What village level wines would be worth checking out? When I go above $50 a bottle, village or no, I want value for money, so I am not interested in buying just because it comes from the appellation, I’d like bottles at least close to being worth the tariff.

How is Joseph Drouhin? The top wines have a great reputation, but since they are a big negociant, are the lower village level wines more like Jadot in being a mixed bag? How is the base level Drouhin village Chambolle-Musigny? Prices seem now to be $70+ even for that, is it worth it (along the lines of how the village wines from a great producer like Rousseau can be the equal of premier or grand crus from another producer), or is it a victim of general Burgundy inflation?

thanks…

2 Likes

Gerard Raphet
Hudelot-Noellat

two that spring to mind. Of course Roumier’s village Chambolle is stellar, but now too hard to find and expensive.

Hudelot-Noellat chambolle-musigny’s are just as expensive as Drouhin and somewhat harder for me to find – are they appreciably better?

I have really liked Hudelot-Noellat Vougeots.

1 Like

How about Jean-Jacques Confuron?

2nd both of Kent’s recommendations. Bruno Clair does a very a nice Village…not cheap. JJ Confuron offers some value or spend ridiculous amounts of money for a Vogue.

RT

Not really familiar with Drouhin’s but did buy a heap of 2015 Drouhins Cote de Nuits that is cheap and highly quaffable.

I do find H-N to be a bit hit and miss, sometimes a bit bretty. I do think that their Clos Vougeot is their best QPR wine.

The Drouhin village chambolle, and the Chambolle 1er Cru are both very good but for me have gotten pretty pricey. Felettig might be one to look into.

Another good source is Hubert Lignier Chambolle - either regular or VV. Bigger styles.

Pretty hard to find a bad Chambolle, imo. What do you have access to besides Drouhin? Although if I had to stick with that, it wouldn’t be a problem by any means.

Red fruit femininity…go for some Bertheau!

3 Likes

Look for Barthod’s Bourgogne. if I recall correctly its all declassified Chambolle fruit bottled as a Bourgogne.

Edit: apparently just outside of Chambolle. But still a great bottle of wine.

1 Like

I have loved the Drouhin village CM and the CM 1er cru though I can’t get used to the prices they command (the CM is still a $30 wine in my mind).

When the 2001s were released I organized a blind horizontal tasting of about a dozen village Chambolles and the Drouhin came in third after Roumier and Mugnier.

1 Like

Another good value, albeit premier cru is Jean Claude Boissets Chambolle Charmes 1er. I do note that Zachy’s have '15 Boisset Chambolle village for $49 which seems like a ripping deal, although have not tried that particular wine.

1 Like

For village wines, Hudelot Noellat takes the cake for me for value. If price isn’t a factor, Roumier or Mugnier are tough to beat.

Here at home we go through cases of the village wines from Dujac - they’ve gotten more expensive for sure - still very much worth it.

I’m a fan of Sigaut’s various 1ers in the sub $100 range (sometimes could be found in the $60-$70 range).

For Drouhin, if village is $70, I’ve seen the 1ers pop up on sale in the $80-$90 range in the recent past (year ago or so). If the pricing diff is minimal, may as well go 1er. I feel both are solid, but agree village is more a sub $50 wine.

+1 for Bertheau, found a bunch of '08 mags of their village for $100/btl, used it for wedding wine last year, was excellent. Unfortunately, they stopped making their bourgogne which was always a solid choice in the $30-$40 range.

Domaine Anne & Herve Sigaut in a richer style
Domaine Gilbert & Christine Felettig in a more elegant style

1 Like

If this weekend’s HDH auction says anything, it’s that there is no good Chambolle, even at the village level, that is not expensive.

In otherwise premium (ie: higher priced) vintages, I recently bought 2015 and 2016 Drouhin CM 1er in the mid 70’s per bottle, and bought a few just because they seemed well priced for the quality level in those vintages, and the fact that they were normally priced somewhat higher than that in recent vintages.

Data point: tonight’s 2007 JC Boisset CM is stonkingly good. Earthy, complex and integrated.