Vice Versa Spring Release 2018 Vintage

Anybody buying? The lineup:

Beckstoffer To Kalon / BBS
Beckstoffer Dr. Crane / BBS
Beckstoffer Las Piedras / BBS
Beckstoffer GIII
The Magnificent Seven

Prices went up. Makes it a challenge. Will be a debate.

First year being offered To Kalon, Dr Crane, and Georges III at 2 each. All others are wishlist. Will be purchasing the To Kalon and Dr Crane. Debating the Georges.

Received an offering and really wanted to get in on the 2018 vintage, but it is a hefty price increase from Myriad/Quivet/Carter all of similar vineyard designations. In the interest of my wallet, I might have to pass.

In for Crane and Las Piedras. Was considering a Mag 7 but at $450 will pass…

In case anyone knows the answer…how do these wines compare stylistically to the same vineyard designates produced by Mike Smith for Myriad? Thanks in advance.

I have a feeling that any winery that bumps up their prices this year will have this type of pause and reflection.

No Napa bottling offered this year which drank equally as well as other $150 Napa cabs.

The few barrel samples I tasted last year were top notch. I am in for a Dr. Crane and a Mag 7 but still debating on whether to add another Dr. Crane or add a To Kalon to the order.

I typically get my to kalon and las piedras from Carter, but given the vintage, might need to open up the wallet more…

They said that they will release this in the Fall along with the Houyi and Steltzner cabs as well as the Platt chard/PN.

From the price sheet they gave me late last year, the normal Napa Cab was also bumped up in price to $165. The Houyi will be $225, Steltzner old vines and platt stayed the same as last years release.

Are the BBS worth the step up in price? Also how are these compared to lets say, the Carter, Realm and Schrader single vineyards?

Ah, good to know.

On the fence, but prices are steep and there will be many 2018’s to purchase. The Chard I will buy since its really good.

I have not tried this wine yet, but was allocated a couple of bottles. Steep entry level. I’m a pass on this one. There’s a lot of great wine out there, especially in the 18s.

Personally, I find them more elegant and slightly more polished in nature. I feel Mike’s wine style is leaning towards more extraction and jammy-ness (can I still use that word? neener ). With that being said, I love Carter’s Las Piedras bottlings!

From my limited experience with the Las Piedras bottling, the concentration is definitely more intense, but for me personally, I’m happy sticking with the “normal” Cabernets.

I signed up relatively recently to their mailing list, so not much showing up in my allocation. I’m primarily interested in their Platt Pinot, which is going to be released in the fall. Does anyone know if i even have a shot at that (especially if I don’t buy my cabernet allocation now)? If not, I may have to pass. I love me some Platt Pinot, and am debating if I love it enough to at least buy one of their lower end cabs which I know nothing about

You should be able to purchase the Platt Pinot without buying their cabs. I would guess the demand for their pinot isn’t as high as the demand for their cabs (my opinion). I would reach out the them and ask if you can purchase or if the pinot will be allocated to you.
FYI, their Platt Chard is very good.