"Let's see if all of the hype is worth it." Your stories...

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

"Let's see if all of the hype is worth it." Your stories...

#1 Post by Brandon R » April 21st, 2020, 12:20 pm

I just read through Neal Martin's article about a huge 10-year vintage retrospective tasting of Bordeaux. It's a fun read, and I'm amazed at the number of wines tasted and scored. It was also interesting that he did two tastings: one blind, and one sighted, and then posted scores for each. I like that transparency.

Anyway, that's not the point of my post. One of the points in his article is that, in his opinion, he'd anoint the 2010 Ch. Latour Pauillac as the wine of the vintage. Perfection, 100 points. I found myself compelled enough to ask, "Wow. I wonder if all the hype is really worth it. I'd love to taste a 2010 Latour and see." I then pulled up wine-searcher.com pro and very rapidly concluded, uh, yeah, nevermind. Wow, those prices.

Anyway, I'd love to hear some stories about you asking yourself the, "Does _____ wine really live up to all they hype?" and then tasting said wine. Did it? Did it not? I'm sure there are some great tales out there and I'd love to hear them. Good, bad, funny, all of them.

[cheers.gif]
B. Redman

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: "Let's see if all of the hype is worth it." Your stories...

#2 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » April 21st, 2020, 12:33 pm

I'm sure lots of us have more than one story, but I'll pipe in with one that popped up to my mind first.

I'm at a business dinner function with my best friend and business partner - he's a Cali Cult fan, I am not - having dinner with some major clients of his, so every bottle after bottle is one of those bombers we read about. Blah Blah, 100 points, this or that. Big oak, high ABV, etc. I was slow-drinking that night, none of those wines hit my note. Somehow the subject of Petrus comes up, my buddy asks the Somm to bring one, and the Somm brought back a 2000 Cheval Blanc, saying that was the best they had. My buddy looks at me, I give thumbs up, and of we go tasting with the Cheval. I was the only one at the table that liked it - loved it would be more apropos - so ended up consuming 2/3s of that bottle by myself, after the tasting pours were made. The group went back their goop, while I drank away in blissful silence. That Cheval is fantastic, every bit lived up to this station in life.

Back to that Petrus reference, my buddy and I have had the 89 Petrus twice together, the whole bottle each time, both times with our wives, who (haha) only drink white wine. Both times each of us have declared it as a perfect wine, one of the best in our lives. It is notable that my buddy and I do not share the same palate, but here we both agreed. Venn Diagram for sure.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Ron Erickson

#3 Post by Ron Erickson » April 21st, 2020, 1:29 pm

2005 Sierra Carche

newhere

viewtopic.php?t=7441#p100845
Last edited by Ron Erickson on April 21st, 2020, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#4 Post by larry schaffer » April 21st, 2020, 1:30 pm

[popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif]
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Brian Tuite » April 21st, 2020, 1:37 pm

Do yourself some money, buy a 100pt 2018 Myriad GIII Empyrean off the current release for $175!
Last edited by Brian Tuite on April 21st, 2020, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Michael S. Monie

#6 Post by Michael S. Monie » April 21st, 2020, 1:40 pm

In the case of the 2010 Latour, it's probably not so much if it's worth the hype as it is, is it worth the expense.
" A person who is proud of their intelligence, is like a prisoner who is proud of their spacious cell." Simone Weil

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Neal.Mollen » April 21st, 2020, 1:43 pm

The 2010 Latour is what, $1,200 a bottle? Not even tempted at that price. A little curious of course, and I'd be eager to drink a glass of Robert's bottle, but no not tempted in the slightest
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » April 21st, 2020, 1:49 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 1:43 pm
The 2010 Latour is what, $1,200 a bottle? Not even tempted at that price. A little curious of course, and I'd be eager to drink a glass of Robert's bottle, but no not tempted in the slightest
Same price as the 1982, and more than the 2000 and 1990. I know where I’d put my $1200 were I burning up to buy a Latour!

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Mark Golodetz » April 21st, 2020, 1:57 pm

So many wines come into the “What were they thinking?”
category.

It is a mistake to have high expectations, as there is no critic who can be trusted with a 100 point score.
ITB

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Neal.Mollen » April 21st, 2020, 2:13 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 1:57 pm
So many wines come into the “What were they thinking?”
category.

It is a mistake to have high expectations, as there is no critic who can be trusted with a 100 point score.
Present company excepted.

Interested to hear what Neal has to say about 2010 generally. I assume he has something to say about where (globally) they are on their maturity curve. They were fairly tannic and old-school when released and I figured they would be some of the last ones I open

Michael S. Monie

#11 Post by Michael S. Monie » April 21st, 2020, 2:18 pm

" A person who is proud of their intelligence, is like a prisoner who is proud of their spacious cell." Simone Weil

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Mattstolz » April 21st, 2020, 2:41 pm

the wine that immediately comes to mind as one that did not stand up to the price point (to me) was a 2014 Guigal Condrieu la Doriane. granted, it was a bottle that had been passed among a couple of us to taste on separate nights and I was getting it on night three... but I don't even know how to describe it. green strawberries wrapped in a handful of fresh basil leaves? certainly was not getting the kind of tasting notes on CT. all three of us that tasted it that night unanimously voted that it was best to never speak of it again.

on the flip side a wine that I think doesn't get nearly enough hype (or maybe is overshadowed) is the Rinaldi Dolcetto. that was one of my favorite wines in the last 6 months and it completely snuck up on me. then again, I bought it because of hype around Rinaldi in general, because the one bottle of their Barolo that I own is being saved for a very special occasion or a very rough day.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Neal.Mollen » April 21st, 2020, 2:57 pm

Thanks Michael!

Joe G a l e w s k i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Joe G a l e w s k i » April 21st, 2020, 3:27 pm

1996 Harlan was worth the hype, twice. I'm not a super-big fan of Napa cab, but that wine is special.

2008 Cristal was worth the hype. That was the best champagne I've ever had.

2009 Chateau d'Yquem was worth the hype. I can't imagine a sauternes tasting better than that, and it's my only 99 point score.

1990 Chateau Latour was worth the hype. My note - 98 points. Decanted 1 hour. Wow! This is one of the best wines I've ever had. It is completely open and delicious. It is soft and complex. There is a ton of complexity. Old world Bordeaux that is easy to drink and the palate is as good as the nose.

2016 MacDonald was not worth the hype, at least not yet. My note - 92 points - Decanted for 8 hours. The dominating flavors are berries and a ton of vanilla. There is red fruit and dusty chocolate. The wine has an extracted, intense profile while still managing to be smooth. The term "slutty" comes to mind. There was no noticeable alcohol, and a whole lot of fruit. The 6 of us had a lengthy discussion about whether these wines will age gracefully, and we did not reach a consensus. Nonetheless, based on this wine, I will not open another MacDonald until it is at least 10 years old, preferably 15 or 20.

Colgin, Futo, not worth the hype. We did a vertical of Futo (not my idea) and we were all scratching our heads at the prices.

2007 Dana Estates Cabernet Sauvignon Lotus Vineyard - multiple 100 point scores, I don't get it.

Bill Tex Landreth

#15 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » April 21st, 2020, 3:43 pm

Screaming Eagle

Have had two vintages and it’s a $60 mediocre Napa Cab, that’s all.
DB: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cankles&amp=true&defid=248846

C. Keller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by C. Keller » April 21st, 2020, 3:54 pm

95% of wine is overhyped. Very rare that a wine delivers IMO. Scores are just a random, well trained palate of one individual. For every wine one person will like it and one will not.
Chris

Peter Shurman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Peter Shurman » April 21st, 2020, 3:59 pm

Ron Erickson wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 1:29 pm
2005 Sierra Carche

newhere

viewtopic.php?t=7441#p100845
LMAO

[cheers.gif]
keeping those ITB in business

Curtis Chen

#18 Post by Curtis Chen » April 21st, 2020, 4:26 pm

A few producers immediately come to mind as being worth the hype: Allemand, Keller, Mugneret-Gibourg, Raveneau...

Krug 164 and 2008 Cristal are two bottles that immediately come to mind as being worth the hype.

The only producer that immediately comes to mind as not being worth the hype is d'Yquem.
Add me on CellarTracker: C Chen

Brian Pinci
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Brian Pinci » April 21st, 2020, 4:50 pm

The 1982 Latour and 1982 Cheval Blanc were definitely worth it! But again, I bought them when they were released!
Brian Pinci

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Mattstolz » April 21st, 2020, 4:56 pm

C Chen wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 4:26 pm
The only producer that immediately comes to mind as not being worth the hype is d'Yquem.
I do remember being pretty underwhelmed by the d'yquem that ive had. give me a sweet riesling for 1/3 the price and I think ill be happier.

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by David K o l i n » April 21st, 2020, 5:04 pm

1961 Latour. Definitely worth the hype x 100

The first time I tasted the wine was 25 years ago at a Latour vertical with wines brought by the chateau. The wine was served at the end of a 3+ hour tasting of Latour and Les Forts. People and palates were exhausred by then, and the rest of my table had left, leaving me with the bottle, which I spent 45 minutes with and brought the rest of the bottle home. Best wine of my life.

The second bottle was good, too
Last edited by David K o l i n on April 21st, 2020, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Casey Hartlip » April 21st, 2020, 5:16 pm

I had a 10 year old Grange that a buddy bought and had perfect storage. BlackBerry syrup meets too much American oak. He tried to like it but it was a loser.
Ordway's Valley Foothills

Fred Bower

#23 Post by Fred Bower » April 21st, 2020, 5:30 pm

My first installment of this was DRC. My brother said some guy at work was a wine guy and asked if I had any Domaine da la Romanee something. I said "No, but that's THE STUFF". My first auction purchase was a bottle of the 1990 Romanee St. Vivant that we shared with him ...I think it was for his 40th birthday but time tarnishes the details. I think I bid it up to $220 to win. Worth it.

For the established estates, I seek to understand what it is that makes them THE STUFF for enough people. Most of the time, I think I figure it out, even if I don't personally feel the value is compelling. The one huge exception is Petrus. I've had '75, '90, and a few other middling vintages with some maturity. I leave with a feeling that I've totally missed the point. Nice wine. Not at all transcendental to my palate.

I have never paid for the Petrus. Thanks, friends.

fred

Markus S

#24 Post by Markus S » April 21st, 2020, 5:31 pm

C. Keller wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 3:54 pm
95% of wine is overhyped. Very rare that a wine delivers IMO. Scores are just a random, well trained palate of one individual. For every wine one person will like it and one will not.
Would have to agree, but would make it closer to the Ivory soap purity level.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Nate Simon » April 21st, 2020, 5:32 pm

SQN.
Absolutely not.

cjsadler

#26 Post by cjsadler » April 21st, 2020, 5:54 pm

Nate Simon wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 5:32 pm
SQN.
Absolutely not.
I have a friend that occasionally opens a SQN when I'm over. Utterly mystifying to me how these wines command the prices they do.
Last edited by cjsadler on April 21st, 2020, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Sadler

Doug Lee
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Doug Lee » April 21st, 2020, 6:13 pm

Three that lived up:

1982 La Mission HB
1990 Conterno Francia
1989 Bartolo Mascarello Barolo

Cheers,
Doug

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » April 21st, 2020, 6:20 pm

Wines that lived up to expectations:

2002 Truchot Clos de la Roche
1990 Trimbach CFE VT
1970 Chateau Petrus
1971 Ridge York Creek Petite Sirah
1989 Dönnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle Auslese
1998 J. J. Christoffel Urziger Wurzgarten Riesling Eiswein

And many more...
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by T. Altmayer » April 21st, 2020, 6:33 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 3:43 pm
Screaming Eagle

Have had two vintages and it’s a $60 mediocre Napa Cab, that’s all.
Had the 2012 twice. This first time it was brilliant (but still not worth the $), the second time if was a $60 Napa Cab.
Tom

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Wes Barton » April 21st, 2020, 7:37 pm

Mattstolz wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 4:56 pm
C Chen wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 4:26 pm
I do remember being pretty underwhelmed by the d'yquem that ive had. give me a sweet riesling for 1/3 the price and I think ill be happier.
I learned early on those are pretty unimpressive too young, at least from the vintages I tried. At 10 years out they've been waxy and not very expressive. At 20 years they're starting to strut. i'd be more comfortable not wasting the effort opening one before 25 years.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

S teve R edenbaugh
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by S teve R edenbaugh » April 21st, 2020, 8:46 pm

Fell in love with the 1994 Dominus when I tasted it on release in 1997. 99 point Wine Advocate. I purchased a 6-pack with my retail wine employee discount thinking that would "hold me" for a few years. Silly assumption. Drank the entire six in about a year. Lucky enough to drink on multiple occasions over the intervening 25 years. A year ago traded my boss five $50 Napa Cabs for his last remaining bottle of 1994. Took it along for great Chicago Steak and paid the corkage. Immediately went home and bid for a 6-pack at auction on WineBid. Ended up paying around $400 a bottle all/in for the case in OWC. The Rolling Stones played Soldier Field last summer. Splurged for four tickets and steak again at RPM...On that particular evening the '94 Dominus completely overshadowed an awesome '96 Mouton. I've got three bottles left and looking for backups at auction. Does the wine deserve it's Robert Parker 99 rating? It is the closest thing to perfection that I've tasted in 30 plus years of selling, collecting, and drinking. On the other hand I've got a vertical of Quilceda Creek Cabernet going back to 2003...at least 3 or 4 were 100 point Parker scoring wines. None of them come close to giving me the same pleasure I get every frigging time I pull the cork on another '94 Dominus. I'm looking for more...and hope you all aren't bidding against me.

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by R. Frankel » April 22nd, 2020, 12:14 am

I’ve had at least a handful of bottles that were all that and more. Worth the price? Impossible to say because one man’s extravagance is another’s daily drinker. But bottles that outshone very high expectations ... I’m trying to think of interesting stories but ultimately I’ve had many special bottles shared with friends that shone brightly.
Rich Frankel

Lukas Tollig

#33 Post by Lukas Tollig » April 22nd, 2020, 2:51 am

Schäfer-Fröhlich Felseneck GG always lives up to the hype in my opinion. Had several vintages of it: 2007 and forward. Always a great wine. 2011 my favourite but hoping the 2015 will surpass it in a few years.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » April 22nd, 2020, 3:30 am

A former partner of mine from Miami - heart of gold, good friend that passed away last year - was a Schrader fanatic. Always raved about them, with me poo-pooing them and raving about French wines. So he proposed a little pre-cocktail hour tasting at one of our firm retreats. He brought two of the 100-point Schrader from the 2007 vintage, I cannot recall which bottles, just recall him saying “double hundos”. He also brought some back-up, a couple younger associates that worked for him, so I knew I had to pack some heat. And what else packs more heat than 2007 Chateauneuf, right? So I brought the 2007 Janasse VV and the Usseglio Mon Aieul, which I think got 99s or 100s, I cannot recall, but was relevant for this tasting. I also brought a Beaucastel so I could nerd out on them about traditional winemaking. Blah Blah. I hated the Schraders, total blocks of wood, especially at that early release stage (this was like 2009/10). The group flipped over the Janasse VV and the Usseglio. Including him. They liked the Schrader as well. I pretty much only liked the Beaucastel. The best part was, more people showed up, more bottles got poured, we all had the best time, lit up by the time the “business function” started!

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Carlos Delpin

#35 Post by Carlos Delpin » April 22nd, 2020, 3:39 am

1989 Haut Brion. Yep, worth the hype.

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Kirk.Grant » April 22nd, 2020, 4:15 am

There are a few that stand out in my mind

Guigal La La's: I think it was sometime around 2014 or maybe 2015 when I got to try a 2000 La La. It was all oak and extraction. Not my style, and really disappointing given the hype.

Domaine Serene: Back around 2005 they used to run full page adds in Wine Spectator about how they beat DRC in a blind taste tests. I went to the winery, I even bought a few bottles. All I can say is that over time I started to feel like they were to Oregon Pinot as Caymus is to Napa Cabernet Sauvignon. So, was the hype worth it...absolutely not.

Scarecrow: It was exactly what I expected it to be...but there is no way it was worth the price.

Keller G-Max: Hell yes...

1st Growth Bordeaux: Not in my mind. I've not had all 5 but of those that I have had, they're on par with other aged bottles of Bordeaux. The bottles I've had have all been from the 60's, 70's, & 80's and it has not been extensive, but maybe 18-24 bottles over the last two decades.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Brent S » April 22nd, 2020, 9:09 am

Bottle variance is such a massive issue. Over a period of 6 months I’ve had 2 bottles of Phelps insignia. 100 point Parker wine. The first occasion I thought it to be one of the greatest wines I ever had. The second time I wasn’t as impressed. Now the bar was set amazingly high as were my expectations, but I feel bottle variation or maybe storage were the reasons for the second being not as much of a thrill.
Brent S

NED VALOIS

#38 Post by NED VALOIS » April 22nd, 2020, 9:37 am

1992 La Jota 11th anniversary !!
98 points Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
The just-released 1992s from La Jota are stunning. The 1992 Cabernet Sauvignon 11th Anniversary Release (the only Cabernet aged in 100% new oak) is a spectacular wine, among the greatest Cabernet Sauvignons I have recently tasted. The superb nose explodes from the glass, offering a decadent level of sweet black fruits, flowers, vanilla, and spice. Full-bodied, sweeter, more expansive and chewy than the other cuvees, this lavishly rich, beautifully balanced, pure Cabernet Sauvignon can be drunk early in its life, but it promises to last for 20-25 years. It is a tour de force in winemaking! La Jota's twenty acres of vineyards situated high up on Howell Mountain behind the small village of Angwin has consistently proven to be a superb source for red wines, particularly Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. (RP) (12/1994)

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Doug Schulman » April 22nd, 2020, 10:20 am

Haven't come close to living up to the hype:

'96 Salon
several vintages of Grange (undrinkable; yes, I mean it)
any Quilceda Creek (maybe the hype was all from 1 person, though)
'08 Cristal (I know I'm in the minority here, and maybe with time it will)
many others that were probably just opened at awkward stages of development

Have totally lived up to the hype:

Clos Rougeard (not worth current pricing to me, but clearly best of class, and better than almost all others by a huge margin)
'96 Taittinger Comtes (oh my god)
'96 and '08 Sir Winston Churchill (but '96 seemed to lose its luster over the years, and it should still be young)
Keller (sadly won't pay aftermarket pricing and no longer have a connection for regular retail markup pricing)
old red Burgundy, just in general (not all great, but so many performing above expectations when well chosen, and I'm not talking trophies)
Cerbaiona Brunello (sadly found out too late)
Poggio di Sotto Brunello (not too late!)
probably many others that I'm not thinking of at the moment

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Howard Cooper » April 22nd, 2020, 10:24 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 3:30 am
A former partner of mine from Miami - heart of gold, good friend that passed away last year - was a Schrader fanatic. Always raved about them, with me poo-pooing them and raving about French wines. So he proposed a little pre-cocktail hour tasting at one of our firm retreats. He brought two of the 100-point Schrader from the 2007 vintage, I cannot recall which bottles, just recall him saying “double hundos”. He also brought some back-up, a couple younger associates that worked for him, so I knew I had to pack some heat. And what else packs more heat than 2007 Chateauneuf, right? So I brought the 2007 Janasse VV and the Usseglio Mon Aieul, which I think got 99s or 100s, I cannot recall, but was relevant for this tasting. I also brought a Beaucastel so I could nerd out on them about traditional winemaking. Blah Blah. I hated the Schraders, total blocks of wood, especially at that early release stage (this was like 2009/10). The group flipped over the Janasse VV and the Usseglio. Including him. They liked the Schrader as well. I pretty much only liked the Beaucastel. The best part was, more people showed up, more bottles got poured, we all had the best time, lit up by the time the “business function” started!
Keep doing this at firm retreats. When my original firm merged for the first time, at the first partner retreat a few of us decided to do a wine tasting of wine lovers away from everyone else with about 1/2 people from my old firm and 1/2 from the firm we were merging with as a way to get to know each other. The first year we just had about 10-12 people there. It was a bit hit and a bunch of other people were upset that they were not invited. We ended up doing such a wine tasting every year at the partner retreat and it was the highlight of each retreat. Over time, we had more people included but we kept it mostly as wine lovers. We would have a theme each year and each participant had to bring a bottle.

One year, we did a blind tasting of Chardonnays (French and California). The consensus favorite was one of the less expensive wines - a Drouhin village level Chablis (I had it as one of my favorites but not #1). I picked out all the wines as either French or California correctly except that I got a Williams-Seylem Chardonnay wrong.

Another year we had a theme of Burgundy and one partner brought a first growth Bordeaux. Nobody complained.

It was a great way to get to know a lot of people from other offices and a lot of fun. With your firm recently having merged, you might think of expanding this and using it as a way to meet new people.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Howard Cooper » April 22nd, 2020, 10:28 am

When you drink a wine is also very important. Over the years, 1982 Leoville las Cases was a disappointment. About 2-3 years ago it just started to become mature and became more worth the hype.
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Howard Cooper » April 22nd, 2020, 10:29 am

Doug Schulman wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 10:20 am

'96 Salon
This is where personal taste really comes into play. The 1996 Salon is one of my favorite Salons. I would put it and 1996 Taittinger CdC about equal, but they taste nothing alike.
Howard

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Mark Golodetz » April 22nd, 2020, 12:31 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 10:29 am
Doug Schulman wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 10:20 am

'96 Salon
This is where personal taste really comes into play. The 1996 Salon is one of my favorite Salons. I would put it and 1996 Taittinger CdC about equal, but they taste nothing alike.
I love both but would add the 1995 Taittinger Comtes to these; a little bit of an outlier for the vintage. Can’t think of another great 1995.
ITB

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Howard Cooper » April 22nd, 2020, 12:48 pm

I very much liked the 1995 Winston Churchill when I had it several years ago. Have not had the 1995 CdC.
Howard

Scott M. Bloomberg

#45 Post by Scott M. Bloomberg » April 22nd, 2020, 12:57 pm

New member and first time posting!

Last February for my 30th birthday I drank 3 1989 Bordeux: La Conseillante, Montrose and Lynch Bages. Easily one of my greatest wine experiences.

The 1989 vintage lived up to the hype with La Conseillante being my favorite wine yet. Surprisingly, the Montrose —-most critically acclaimed of them all was my least favorite. Wimped out on getting the 89 Haut Brion or Mission, but will need to try those hopefully soon.

ERPark

#46 Post by ERPark » April 22nd, 2020, 12:59 pm

2010 Coche-Dury Corton Charlemagne - shared this with a few forumites a couple years ago. Just a fantastic, sublime bottle.
GEN3

Matthew Hemming

#47 Post by Matthew Hemming » April 22nd, 2020, 1:40 pm

I was at the blind 2010 tasting with Neal. Latour 2010 showed brilliantly but wasn't one of my two perfect wines: Mouton and Lafleur for me.

Wines that delivered on the hype? Palmer 61 immediately springs to mind; Krug CdM 96; Mission 89; old Madeira. Those that haven't made the earth move?

Haut Brion 89 - not as good as Mission.
Petrus 82 - very good but not epic.
Most 08 Bordeaux.
Yquem 67 - prefer 75.

Just realised how Euro-centric that is. Sorry!
ITB

AndyK

#48 Post by AndyK » April 22nd, 2020, 2:30 pm

Hyped wines that really delivered: 96 Giacosa Asili Riserva, 01 Yquem, 16 Pax Hillsides, Dauvissat, Allemand, Richard Leroy, most Ganevat

Hyped wines that are good/very good, but not worth secondary market prices: Ultramarine, Overnoy, LdH Rosado, Gonon

Hyped wines that didn't impress: 01 Masseto, Saxum, most Rivers-Marie
k0berl

Peter C.

#49 Post by Peter C. » April 22nd, 2020, 2:45 pm

Brandon R wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 12:20 pm
I just read through Neal Martin's article about a huge 10-year vintage retrospective tasting of Bordeaux. It's a fun read, and I'm amazed at the number of wines tasted and scored. It was also interesting that he did two tastings: one blind, and one sighted, and then posted scores for each. I like that transparency.

Anyway, that's not the point of my post. One of the points in his article is that, in his opinion, he'd anoint the 2010 Ch. Latour Pauillac as the wine of the vintage. Perfection, 100 points. I found myself compelled enough to ask, "Wow. I wonder if all the hype is really worth it. I'd love to taste a 2010 Latour and see." I then pulled up wine-searcher.com pro and very rapidly concluded, uh, yeah, nevermind. Wow, those prices.

Anyway, I'd love to hear some stories about you asking yourself the, "Does _____ wine really live up to all they hype?" and then tasting said wine. Did it? Did it not? I'm sure there are some great tales out there and I'd love to hear them. Good, bad, funny, all of them.

[cheers.gif]
If it's someone else's money, I think Rousseau's wines up and down the board always are stunning for what's on the label.

I thought it was crazy when the Gevrey village wine was $75, now that it's $300 in most cases......
( z y ® y ( @

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by lleichtman » April 22nd, 2020, 3:13 pm

I don't know how hyped it was but had the 1947 Cheval Blanc on my 70th birthday. It was purchased in 2007 and was quite expensive but it turned out to be one of the best bottles of wine I ever had. Just sublime and still had some fruit after all that time.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Return to “Wine Talk”