A quick impromptu tasting: 2012 Gilles Cornas v 2018 Bedrock X-Block

Having a national meeting over the web, sitting in a conference room with two of my business partners, very close friends. Alcohol is a necessity in these times. Straight out of my office fridge.

Both nice wines. My partners, Cali fans, prefer the Bedrock. Me, well, not even close. The Gilles rocks.

Gilles is rocks over fruit. A pretty forward vintage of Gilles, like 2015, but that rocky, minerally, river bedrock nose is excellent. Brooding dark fruits, leather, deep and rugged. Has a vein of red citrusy fruits lifting the dark heavy fruits. Chewy, chalky tannins. In a good spot but give it 5 years. (93 pts.).

The Bedrock has a rich BBQ nose, lush dark fruits. Youthful, but soft and approachable. Some hot road tar. The ABV seems a tad more than the 13% labeled. (89 pts.).

Fun stuff.

2AB8FFC7-D4BE-424D-BCEF-66259CCA4C01.jpeg
Yes. The glasses suck.

Thanks for the notes on the Gilles. I’m chilling on my bottles for now. Feels like a rule of 15 (ducks).

I don’t think Gilles really needs that 15, bit it cannot hurt.

always wanted to try that x-block, now maybe not so much. Soft is not in my wheelhouse.

The Gilles really kicked into high gear by third glass, the Bedrock went down as it warmed.

As the weather has warmed, I’ve been drinking my Gilles Nouvelle R 17s. Pretty wines, though light. I find Gilles’ basic cuvees needs a lot of time; I tried a 16 and was punched in the face by tannin for my trouble :slight_smile:

im definitely trying to give my Xblock some age time. I think it’ll help