TN: 1999 Michel Gros Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Clos des Réas

• 1999 Domaine Michel Gros Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Clos des Réas - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (4/21/2020)
    It’s a winner! Nose was extraordinary from the start, big hit of Vosne spice, but it needed some time to breath up in the glass. (Switched to a little Lopez Heredia Vina Tondonio Riserva Blanco 2003 that we had in reserve to while away the time and the cheese.) When we came back to the Gros, it was so lovely–distinctive balance and depth of blue and purple fruit, studded with spice notes, with nice acidity, longish finish, where maybe a touch of truffle/mushroom could be discerned. It was in a good place now but certainly could be held longer. Went marvelously with our lockdown concocted Peking duck. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

the older Jean Gros version used to be a favorite of mine. Gustav Gros before that, I think. Sounds great. Haven’t had it in years.

Nice note

How many of the Gros family are making wine?

Yes was good, Alan,

And yes, Marc, tons of Gros making wine: Anne, A.F. Gros (married to Parent), and Gros Soeurs came to mind. I’m not sure, but I believe I’ve heard that when it came to split up the earlier generation’s holdings Michel took the Clos over the GC’s (some Richebourg and Clos Vougeot). May not be accurate.

Michel made the wine since 1975 - even if it´s labelled Jean Gros - so you´re speaking of pre-1975?

BTW: I like Michels wines.

didn’t realize that. I was drinking from mid-80s w occasional older bottle.

I had a ‘69 Jean Gros Clos des Reas with another forumite a couple months ago. It was really, really damn good.

I can confirm that. Jean Gros was more into hunting and fishing.

Michel swapped some Richebourg with Anne for her inherited split of Reas so he could maintain the monopole. He still makes/ owns (very good) Clos Vougeot.
I haven’t been able to buy M. Gros wines in my market since the mid 00’s, but I was a big fan. Still have some Reas, Brulees & Vougeot from these years.
Lovely holdings and from what i see elsewhere, still not off the scale pricewise.

Thanks for clearing that up, Chris!
I’ve never seen the Clos Vougeot, though apparently it is currently being imported to the States, as is the Reas and also the Brulees; I bet the last is lovely. I’m not being much new Burgundy these days, but may have to seek some out. Not coming up to Ontario anymore, eh?

Just a small amount comes into Quebec (I think SAQ direct). Pretty sure it’s only Reas and some of his Nuits holdings when they decide to bring in any.

Clos des Reas 2,12 ha
Aux Brulees 0,63 ha
Clos Vougeot 0,2 ha

• that explains a lot -