TN: 2001 Mugnier Chambolle Fuees 1er cru

O M G. Medium to light ruby and starting to brick. Ethereal perfume of red berries, forest floor, truffles, and hints of spice and flowers. The nose is just exquisite, unfolding in layers. Difficult to not keep smelling this. The Chambolle delicacy and elegance are on full display here. Layers of red fruit and roses fill the mouth and stain the palate, leaving a long and lingering finish. A wine of real harmony. Nice acidity, soft tannins, and a satiny texture that is utterly sensuous. Ready now with more evolution in the years ahead.

First bottle of case bought on release in a bygone era when burgundy was plentiful and relatively inexpensive. The fellow who sold me the case advised me to stop chasing the grand crus and instead plow my money into premier cru and villages wines. He said that doing so would give me more pleasure over the long term provided the wines get sufficient age. I heeded his advice, and if this (and other premier cru and villages bottles) is any indication, the guy knew what he was talking about.

Hm, what year Peter?

Sorry, 2001

Nice note, Peter,

Wished I owned some!

That is a good one! Beautiful wines in 2001.

Wish I could afford this. [cry.gif]

Thanks for the note, sounds wonderful. Bought 4 on release for seems like peanuts now. Still have 3 left, might need to try one soon.

cheers Brodie

Peter,

You are drinking well.

Cheers,
Doug

not doing this, I opined in a thread on regrets, is the one mistake I’d correct in my burgundy buying if I had a do over. Premier cru with a lot of age has a lot of bang for the buck. You got great advice.

Had the 1999 vintage of this wine. Beautiful! Wish I had some more…

I drank my last bottle last August and it was like drinking a fine piece of art… There are no words to describe this beauty. Nothing else like it and my love for Burgundy continues…

Beautiful wine indeed. Opened to pair with Japanese olive wagyu last year, and it was WOTN even with friends who aren’t into Pinot at all…

Great wines like this are Fuées and far between.

yep. Not a wine to say Fuées about.