Wines for the meat- EMH 2007 Black Cat

The quarantine and stay-at-home allowed to test some of the library wines. I’ve been ‘backlogged’ on loading some notes, but I thought this one is a note on a gem that must be shared…

• 2007 EMH Cabernet Sauvignon Black Cat - Napa Valley, Calistoga (4/4/2020)
    There are some good reasons to open outstanding wine in life–celebrations, birth years, special milestones… this season, the good reasons are simply for being together and enjoying a great weekend and meal. So, what would upgrade it more than EMH 2007? Honestly, I do not know. On the fourth bottle I get to taste it from , I would say that by all means, shapes and forms it is a top-end companion for steak and meats meal. Very bold with the sirloin steak, great secondary tastes have developed since the last time I tasted it—more of the leather, peppers, and balanced smoke. The oak smoke in the background was not overwhelming, just a perfect match to the meal. Longer finish than I recalled in ’15 and in ’17 when I tasted the wine before. . Over the course of two nights not only that it did not fade, but actually it got better. Even much better. That’s after a 2-3 hours decant on the first night. The aroma of the spices kept developing the second night. It’s interesting as I noted to myself on the side notes- berries, peppers, currant, blackberries in particular, and three of the four where there in my ’17 tasting as well. What makes this one more of a meat companion compared with other EMH I recall? The secret is the combination. A more bold wine for meat, but one that does not overwhelme you with secondary tastes and over dominates the palate. The finish that gets longer with that chewy sirloin that you put on top of the salad for the lunch on day two. The nose that is blossoming, even day two,even from the other side of the living room. Drink it or hold it more, just give it the air time.
    It certainly is one that drinks well (WELL) above its price range. I actually feel I almost ‘robbed’ the winery. This has been an upgrade for our weekend, and well upgrades since I tasted it last in 2017. Well meauw.

(94+ but a single number does not capture the finish and the match to meats. For a meat dominant meal, give it a 95) (94 pts.)

And the steak recipes are to follow. This one drank outstanding compared with even some of the '90s wines we had. Can’t wait to see it age

My last note on the 2007 was 4 years ago. 93 according to what I posted in CT.

Opened a 2011 EMH Black Cat with some Flannery NY strips last night. The Black Cat was open for business on pop n’ pour, and though very enjoyable now it has lots of life ahead of it.

Thank you, gentlemen. The 2007 is indeed a bold one - at least compared to its littermates. The 2011 is a leaner wine on account of its “breeding,” but has never sold well despite some nice reviews. Napa 2011s just have not been able to overcome the bad word that went out in the press and on the street since before they were harvested!

This morning I put the 2011 in the “quarantine specials” section of this Board. $67.50/bottle including shipping is as low as it can go. Satisfaction guaranteed (but if you like full-blown Cabs and nothing leaning toward AFWE, this is not your wine).