Hospice du Rhone Zoom event 4/25

Did anyone else attend the HdR Zoom/Facebook today? (Hello Mr Mel Hill)

Besides Vicki Carroll and John Alban, a number of folks who had been scheduled to present at the Paso Robles event briefly discussed Rhone-related topics. Mainly the Rocks AVA and Ventoux, two interesting areas seeing quickening change. However, the point of the exercise turned out to be creating a festive air – friends and Rhone wine lovers connecting as best as possible.

The degree of emotion from participants missing the physical event was surprising (unless you’re an HdR lifer … or simply realize how many of us are gradually becoming emotionally starved).

I’m grateful Vicki’s team put together such a pleasant and engaging afternoon. Not the same as sitting down with friends, but a welcome change from the two of us drinking by ourselves.

Sounds like folks on here are discovering virtual tastings. I’ve seen the light; am now planning to attend two this week.

Jeff - enjoyed hanging out with you at HdR 2018 and we were so looking forward to the 2020 event. Agree that the on line event was interesting and fun overall, and with the exception of one participant’s audio issues, greatly exceeded my expectations. No substitute for the real thing, but easily the best of about 5-6 Zoom events I’ve participated in recently.

Raising a toast to no glitches or unforeseen events in April 2021 and hope to catch up with you again then.

Cheers! [cheers.gif]

Steve

I was on. It was a nice experience but obviously not what it would have been in person spread over days

Steve, getting to know you (and your posse) was one of the best things about the 2018 event. While I don’t come with a posse, this year I did finally talk my best old wine drinking pal into making the trip. So 2021 will be his first.

If people just realized what a great and unbelievably well run event this is, those few hundred passes would be vaporized. You couldn’t get near it.

Of course I say the same thing about northern Rhone syrah. And can still buy all the Gilles Cornas I want.

Not all bad, life as a niche (Rhone) drinker. Or in wine terms, as Mr Alban put it, marrying the dependable “middle child”, not the eldest who is privileged to inherit everything (Bordeaux varieties) nor the spoiled youngest who is forgiven everything (Burgundy).

(did I note the rueful look of a guy who has spent his life selling syrah as he said it?!)

Just saw this thread… yup, I was watching the broadcast and enjoyed the seminar portion of the event. Looking forward to being there in person next year!

HDR zoom event was rad! Agree that it is the best wine event I’ve ever been to. HdR is the reason I make wine. Jeff and Steve- look forward to seeing you at the next event if not sooner.